• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abused wife seeks help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbarnhill

What is the name of your state? Idaho
I have been married for 28 years, to an alcoholic and gave him 2 children. I have suffered mental, emotional, and physical abuse from him. I carried my own weight in this marriage for 28 years. There were 2 seperate times that I supported him for over a year and a half while he collected unemployement. I was a mortgage loan officer for 7 years until I had a fatal skiing accident in 1994. I could no longer do the work I loved so since our home was a 5 bedroom rancher I decided to turn our downstairs into an adult family home in 1997 so that I could still contribute financially. I ran the AFH for 7 years out of our home. During that time I was diagnosed with RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy) in my feet and legs due to neuroma surgery on both my feet. I have listen to him tell me how I am crap and why don't I get a real job. I can no longer work outside of the home and haven't been able to for quite some time. In the last 3 years his treatment of me had become so vile I had no choice but to remove myself from the home. That was 10 months ago. He agreed to pay me 600.00 a month and not a penny more. Because according to him I am nothing but a blood sucking ***** who only married him for a meal ticket. I asked him to just give me enough to be able to pay my rent, and utilities, but I was told I would not get one penny more from him. He has refused to pay for my medical saying he couldn't afford it. My question is where do I stand legally? If I file for a legal separation can I request that I get 800.00 a month. That would pay for rent, utilities and basic food survival. From what I understand, in the state of Idaho you have to have an attorney to file for a legal separation but not for a divorce. I need some sound advice. Thank you for your help in advance.

Last edited:

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state? Idaho
I have been married for 28 years, to an alcoholic and gave him 2 children. I have suffered mental, emotional, and physical abuse from him. I carried my own weight in this marriage for 28 years. There were 2 seperate times that I supported him for over a year and a half while he collected unemployement. I was a mortgage loan officer for 7 years until I had a fatal skiing accident in 1994. I could no longer do the work I loved so since our home was a 5 bedroom rancher I decided to turn our downstairs into an adult family home in 1997 so that I could still contribute financially. I ran the AFH for 7 years out of our home. During that time I was diagnosed with RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy) in my feet and legs due to neuroma surgery on both my feet. I have listen to him tell me how I am crap and why don't I get a real job. I can no longer work outside of the home and haven't been able to for quite some time. In the last 3 years his treatment of me had become so vile I had no choice but to remove myself from the home. That was 10 months ago. He agreed to pay me 600.00 a month and not a penny more. Because according to him I am nothing but a blood sucking ***** who only married him for a meal ticket. I asked him to just give me enough to be able to pay my rent, and utilities, but I was told I would not get one penny more from him. He has refused to pay for my medical saying he couldn't afford it. My question is where do I stand legally? If I file for a legal separation can I request that I get 800.00 a month. That would pay for rent, utilities and basic food survival. From what I understand, in the state of Idaho you have to have an attorney to file for a legal separation but not for a divorce. I need some sound advice. Thank you for your help in advance.
Jesus H. Christ!! Now we gotta pay their ghosts too!!

mistoffolees

Ignoring all the snide comments....

You didn't say how much he is earning. After a 28 year marriage, you will be entitled to some spousal support, but the amount will vary from state to state. Better to get an attorney and file for divorce and find out what you're really entitled to rather than worrying about it for years.

And you should have filed for total disability if you are unable to work - either from your last employer (if they had disability insurance) or SSI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">