• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abusive Marrige

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

popsesq

I live in Atlanta Georgia. I have a female friend who is in a very physically abusive marriage. She wants out but her husband says he will never sign the papers to let her go. She is afraid to call the police when he hits her. And continues to fight back when he does, just making things worse. What options does she have? How can she legally separate from him without leaving with just the clothes on her back?

LdiJ

I live in Atlanta Georgia. I have a female friend who is in a very physically abusive marriage. She wants out but her husband says he will never sign the papers to let her go. She is afraid to call the police when he hits her. And continues to fight back when he does, just making things worse. What options does she have? How can she legally separate from him without leaving with just the clothes on her back?
She should stop being a wimp and call the police if he hits her.

She also doesn't need his signature to get a divorce. Help her get a consult with a local attorney.

Silverplum

I'd urgently advise her to go to a local Women's Shelter, ASAP. They can help her with everything else: Safety First!

Proserpina

If she's being physically abused, she needs to get out. NOW.

Her life is far more important than her things.

404-688-9436 is the number for Atlanta's Women's Resource Center - she needs to call, and they'll do what they can to help her.

There are other resources here:

WOMEN SHELTERS Georgia State - Addresses and Information

Please, encourage your friend to get out of there. Today. This is her life.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What?!?!?!! In WHAT possible way is this helpful?!

I guess OP's friend never once thought of picking up the phone?! Do you REALLY think that's the case?
I do actually. Many women don't. They don't want to get their abuser in trouble. They want to make sure the abuser is protected. So in actuality I agree, she needs to call the police and have him arrested for abuse. Though there should NOT be a next time. She should leave now.

Proserpina

I do actually. Many women don't. They don't want to get their abuser in trouble. They want to make sure the abuser is protected. So in actuality I agree, she needs to call the police and have him arrested for abuse. Though there should NOT be a next time. She should leave now.

I don't disagree with calling the police (of course).

Its the "wimp" part I object to.

LdiJ

I don't disagree with calling the police (of course).

Its the "wimp" part I object to.
You are right, that was harsh. I shouldn't have said it. However so many people refuse to call the police when they are being abused... and that is a big step in making the problem stop.

Proserpina

You are right, that was harsh. I shouldn't have said it. However so many people refuse to call the police when they are being abused... and that is a big step in making the problem stop.

Thank you for this.

I absolutely agree that the first step is the hardest to take, and takes a heckuva lot of courage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">