• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Acess to my wife's work email

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FrankT

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Virginia,

Can I legally acess my wifes work email account if she left it up and open on our home computer?

Her company is based in Washington DC and we live in Virginia. It is not a goverment company.

HomeGuru

Virginia,

Can I legally acess my wifes work email account if she left it up and open on our home computer?

Her company is based in Washington DC and we live in Virginia. It is not a goverment company.
**A: and why would you do such an unethical and egregious thing?

LdiJ

Virginia,

That would be a highly stupid thing to do, since her employer could go after you for doing that. That's NOT a personal email account.

AHA

Virginia,

How about you just talk to her instead of resorting to snooping.

mistoffolees

Virginia,

You've already gotten a number of responses of the ethics involved. But that wasn't your question. Unfortunately, what the law requires is not always the moral thing.

You need to check the law in Virginia. In my state, the answer is quite different than the responses you've gotten. I was told that if my ex gave me access to the account and did not change the password, that I could not be charged for reading her email. If, OTOH, she changed the password, it would be illegal for me to access the account.

Regardless, her employer would have cause for action against her, not you. You have no legal obligation to protect her employer's information.

Of course, beware that it IS one of those things that could backfire badly on you.

penelope10

My question is why on earth would you want to access your wife's work email?

And I'm under the thought process that she DID NOT give you permission to access the account, she simply made the mistake of leaving the account open on the computer thus allowing you to gain access to information. (Without her permission or knowledge).

If you suspect something "hinkey" is going on why don't you try the approach of speaking directly with her in regards to your concerns rather than spying on her?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">