• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Acting crazy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tcpokie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? RI

I have been married for 12 yrs, no kids. Things have been rocky with me and my hubby for the last yr, he had asked me for a divorce last yr but we decided to try to work things out. Then i found out he had cheated on me , which he admitted to there is no trust between us now.

i think he wants out because we havent been getting along lately so i want to know what are my rights to the house we live in and can he force me out if he decides to file for divorce? we both have our names on the home. i cant afford a lawyer.

Gidget62

Consultation

You at least need to schedule a consultation with a lawyer to ascertain under RI law what you are entitled to after 12 years of marriage. You should get all the financial information together and schedule an appt.

Since you think your husband would be amenable to divorcing, discuss with him what he feels would be fair as a property settlement. It's a starting point.

tcpokie

we have seperate checking, savings accounts so i think getting the financial info on him will be a pain for me. the seperate checking and savings were his idea not mine. he keeps all his financial documentation in the gargage which i do not have a key to.

we split the mortgage payments between us. he makes over 40k a yr and i make 25k a yr.

he inherited 100k and put that down on the home, which we purchased in 2004 will that make a diffence in my settlement? he said last year he wanted to know" what i wanted so he could get me out of this".. his words. i need help because i really dont know especially when it comes to the house, the car i drive ( in his name) and things that were purchased during our marriage.
if i left it up to him i will get very little.

Gidget62

Can't afford not to get lawyer

What it really comes down to is that you cannot afford not to get a lawyer. You said it all when you mentioned if left up to your husband, you would get very little. Borrow from family if you have to, but get a lawyer.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
we have seperate checking, savings accounts so i think getting the financial info on him will be a pain for me. the seperate checking and savings were his idea not mine. he keeps all his financial documentation in the gargage which i do not have a key to.

we split the mortgage payments between us. he makes over 40k a yr and i make 25k a yr.

he inherited 100k and put that down on the home, which we purchased in 2004 will that make a diffence in my settlement? he said last year he wanted to know" what i wanted so he could get me out of this".. his words. i need help because i really dont know especially when it comes to the house, the car i drive ( in his name) and things that were purchased during our marriage.
if i left it up to him i will get very little.

You are entitled to half the marital property and half the marital debt. can you afford to refinance the car into your name? How many vehicles are there? How much is the house worth? The inheritance may make a difference IF he spends the money to trace the amount put down. Can you afford to refinance the house strictly into your name and make the payments? Can he? Separate accounts don't matter if the money going into them is marital.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">