• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adding a father's name to the birth certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kwr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY - Suffolk County

I was married but not living with my husband when my child was conceived and born. I am currently waiting for the divorce to be finalized (already filed) and plan to marry my child's father when my divorce is final. I was not allowed to add the child's biological father's name to the birth certificate because of my marital status at the time. What do I have to do in order to have his name on the birth certificate and be legally considered the child's father. My (soon to be) ex-husband is not contesting and the child's biological father wants to be legally recognized as the father. There is so much different information floating online that I need some clarification.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY - Suffolk County

I was married but not living with my husband when my child was conceived and born. I am currently waiting for the divorce to be finalized (already filed) and plan to marry my child's father when my divorce is final. I was not allowed to add the child's biological father's name to the birth certificate because of my marital status at the time. What do I have to do in order to have his name on the birth certificate and be legally considered the child's father. My (soon to be) ex-husband is not contesting and the child's biological father wants to be legally recognized as the father. There is so much different information floating online that I need some clarification.
Your husband's paternity needs to be disestablished as part of your divorce, and then the biological father needs to file in court to establish paternity himself afterwards.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Your husband's paternity needs to be disestablished as part of your divorce, and then the biological father needs to file in court to establish paternity himself afterwards.
Actually file to add your boyfriend to the divorce as a party. He can then establish his paternity in the divorce proceedings at the same time that the legal father's paternity is disestablished.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">