• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adulterer trying to drive out husband; feedback on privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yesyoucant

State: Texas

Unfortunately, I write this on Christmas eve in an attempt to help my father. My parents have been married for 29 years and have 2 kids, me - 28, and my brother, who is 21. I first noticed something weird the day my mom asked me "what happens if i meet someone else when I'm with my friends?" and I gave her my opinion--it was crappy to do that while married. Fast forward 2 months, my father discovers she has been having affairs with MULTIPLE random men off the internet. She denies everything, although he has read the letters. They began marriage counseling about 8 months ago. I believe she is trying to drive him out of their home. While I do not know the inner workings of their personal life to the fullest, I do know he is a good man and supported her while she raised the kids, and later, put her through college when she was in her mid 40s, which later she got a decent paying job. Long story short, she agreed to cut out text messaging, delete her email account she used to communicate with these guys, etc. They decided to call a "truce" and let it be. Except she lied and continues to lie about anything. He has decided to play it cool until he has enough evidence to ask for a divorce.

The problem is that his surmounting evidence is illegally obtained. For example, keylogger software that tracks her new email and messaging accounts. He has discovered she simply created a new email account and still talks to many men on the Internet about her woes in life, and many sexual things. She has even admitted to cheating on my father in some of these. What is worse, she is a teacher, and most of these emails are time stamped during school hours, and the IP address has been logged to her school district server. His other evidence is tape recorded conversations in her bedroom, car, etc., where she has openly talked about how bad her marriage is, and how hard up she is for some male attention, if you catch my drift. There are recorded conversations of her talking with other men about their affairs. There are recorded conversations of her telling her friends about her sexual escapades with other men, and her plan to drive my father out.

I told him to hire a PI to save the headache, since she continues to lie. I am afraid he will lose his house when they proceed with the divorce. (As it stands, she is just wanting "space"). He told me he cannot come up with that sort of money to hire one without her noticing, nor would he have a good excuse as to why he needed it. He has put a GPS on her car and his best hope is to silently track her email and hope for clues about a supposed meeting that will occurin a few days. He wants to videotape (from afar) the two of them (my mother and one of the men she is sleeping with) going into a hotel/friends' apartment (who is out of town). That is the only thing he can come up with as far as legal evidence.

One attorney had told him that although the emails could not be admissible in court, the other parties involved in the email could be subpoenaed to testify.

She still lies to him to this day. He is ready to move on with his life, but does not want to lose the house to her, and was not wanting to give up on the marriage until he found all of this out. What are his options? can someone please help. Thank you for your time.

cyjeff

I have never understood these wranglings....

Have your father start a divorce for adultery.

Period.

He doesn't need to play PI... she already admitted to it once to him, right? That is enough.

Just because they went to counseling doesn't mean she is able to check off the "didn't do THAT guy" box.

And there is no guarantee what he or she will get in the divorce.

Even if he had the best evidence of adultery in the world, it doesn't mean she leaves without a dime.

yesyoucant

It is painful but I am desensitized at this point by my mother's actions and I am willing to help him in any way I can.

He has not gotten her to admit she has cheated on him, just that she had met someone else for lunch and the guy kissed her. etc.

cyjeff

Then just divorce her.

Why would you live with a person that is continually cheating on you is beyond me.

In the meantime, daddy is playing "Q" and opening HIMSELF up to criminal charges.

That's right, criminal charges.

You cannot electronically eavesdrop without a court order. I am assuming he doesn't have one.

That makes it ILLEGAL.

LdiJ

I am going to add something else, to make sure that it is addressed. DO NOT let your father cause her to lose her job. Believe me, that will just make things worse. Revenge may be satisfying but it will honestly make things worse.

As it stands, your mother is going to be entitled to 1/2 of the marital assets, and be responsible for 1/2 of the marital debts. TX is a community property state and adultery isn't likely to change that equation.

Please try not to take sides. You can never know what the inside of someone else's marriage is like, even when its your own parents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">