• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adultery and Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

separated_SC

What is the name of your state? SC
My wife and I are separated...We agreed on the terms of the seperation via a separation agreement which has not been signed and notarized yet.
She moved out and got an apartment, said that she did not care if I dated, slept with other women, whatever, she just wanted me to be happy. I have been spending alot of time with a friend who is female... nothing has happened, no sex, no kissing, etc.
My wife now says that she is going to file for divorce on grounds of Adultery and she claims that because in SC you only need the following for grounds time place and inclination. She also says that she will get spousal support (she has a job and earns almost as much as I do) plus she will get everything that we have aquired together and I will be left with nothing.
This started out as she just wanted out and was not happy... that I could ahve everything, now that I am not sitting at home begging her to come back to me she has become vindictive and mean.
She says it is becasue I will no longer do things for her, or come at her beck and call...
I told her to go ahead and file on grounds of adultery... it will just get us divorced quicker... 90 days vs 1 yr. But that she will not get everything nor will she get alimony.
Is she right?
Should I go get a good lawyer?

brisgirl825

separated_SC said:
What is the name of your state? SC
My wife and I are separated...We agreed on the terms of the seperation via a separation agreement which has not been signed and notarized yet.
She moved out and got an apartment, said that she did not care if I dated, slept with other women, whatever, she just wanted me to be happy. I have been spending alot of time with a friend who is female... nothing has happened, no sex, no kissing, etc.
My wife now says that she is going to file for divorce on grounds of Adultery and she claims that because in SC you only need the following for grounds time place and inclination. She also says that she will get spousal support (she has a job and earns almost as much as I do) plus she will get everything that we have aquired together and I will be left with nothing.
This started out as she just wanted out and was not happy... that I could ahve everything, now that I am not sitting at home begging her to come back to me she has become vindictive and mean.
She says it is becasue I will no longer do things for her, or come at her beck and call...
I told her to go ahead and file on grounds of adultery... it will just get us divorced quicker... 90 days vs 1 yr. But that she will not get everything nor will she get alimony.
Is she right?
Should I go get a good lawyer?
Adultry typically has no bearing on division of property.

Alimony is another matter. We have no way of knowing what the judge would order.

GL.

LdiJ

brisgirl825 said:
Adultry typically has no bearing on division of property.

Alimony is another matter. We have no way of knowing what the judge would order.

GL.
I agree, although with their incomes being relatively equal alimony doesn't seem likely.

And yes, he needs an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">