• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adultery or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

divorcenow

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland.
A few years ago, I found that my husband exchanged affectionate emails with a lady in NJ. My husband moved to NJ a year ago because of job transfer. I still live in MD. Recently, I found him made frequent phone contact with her. May I divorce him on the ground of adultery? Does that affect the separation of property or child custody?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland.
A few years ago, I found that my husband exchanged affectionate emails with a lady in NJ. My husband moved to NJ a year ago because of job transfer. I still live in MD. Recently, I found him made frequent phone contact with her. May I divorce him on the ground of adultery? Does that affect the separation of property or child custody?
Sorry, exchanging emails does not constitute adultery.

Since MD is an equitable distribution state, if adultery really had occurred, it could affect the property distribution. Exchanging emails or phone calls will not.

As for child custody, if the two of you are mature, you will agree to whatever child custody situation is in the best interests of the child(ren), not your own petty needs. Adultery (even if it had occurred) does not change that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">