• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adultery - proof with emails

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WVMomofthree

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

I have been suspicious of my husband having an affair for weeks. Last week I found proof via emails.

He left his laptop downstairs while tucking the children in. I went into his gmail account and found emails. I did not have to put in a password. He was already signed in.

I forwarded the emails to myself. He and the mistress (she is also married and lives in MD) says they will not be admissible in divorce court.

I have given the woman's husband copies of the emails. He is planning to divorce her too.

Also, in the emails he explains to her how he came up with a story to tell me about he was meeting up his guy friend, but it was really a ruse to meet up with her. It also says that he would have to call me later, say he was drunk and would have to sleep it off and would return the next morning. So, he could spend the night with her.

I am so upset. I have 3 young children (7 and under...the youngest just turned one.) I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

JETX

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

I have been suspicious of my husband having an affair for weeks. Last week I found proof via emails.

He left his laptop downstairs while tucking the children in. I went into his gmail account and found emails. I did not have to put in a password. He was already signed in.

I forwarded the emails to myself. He and the mistress (she is also married and lives in MD) says they will not be admissible in divorce court.

I have given the woman's husband copies of the emails. He is planning to divorce her too.

Also, in the emails he explains to her how he came up with a story to tell me about he was meeting up his guy friend, but it was really a ruse to meet up with her. It also says that he would have to call me later, say he was drunk and would have to sleep it off and would return the next morning. So, he could spend the night with her.

I am so upset. I have 3 young children (7 and under...the youngest just turned one.) I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks for your help.
Though we certainly appreciate an exciting story of infidelity every once in a while... the question begs to be asked. What the hell do you want from us?? You didn't ask a question at all.
One problem though... depending on the specifics of the emails and whether they can be proven or not... Adultery is one of the valid grounds for divorce in WV.

The only response... contact a good divorce attorney.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
But, be ready for those emails to not be admissible in court. You likely obtained them illegally.

What does your attorney say about the situation?

mistoffolees

But, be ready for those emails to not be admissible in court. You likely obtained them illegally.
I wouldn't say 'likely', I'd say 'possibly'.

If it was a family computer (even if he was the primary user), it would probably be legal for her to have done what she did.

Zigner

I wouldn't say 'likely', I'd say 'possibly'.

If it was a family computer (even if he was the primary user), it would probably be legal for her to have done what she did.
I'm not disagreeing with you, I just want to point out what made me say "likely":
He left his laptop downstairs while tucking the children in.
(emphasis added)

mistoffolees

I'm not disagreeing with you, I just want to point out what made me say "likely":
(emphasis added)
Yes, but even if it was his laptop, it's likely to be OK for her to look at it.

In my case, my ex was snooping on my WORK laptop which she had no right to access. My attorney told me that the courts did not punish people for that type of infraction, at least in my state.

Zigner

Yes, but even if it was his laptop, it's likely to be OK for her to look at it.

In my case, my ex was snooping on my WORK laptop which she had no right to access. My attorney told me that the courts did not punish people for that type of infraction, at least in my state.
HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that information gained through such access would be admissible in court ;)

JETX

My attorney said it would be, but maybe that's state-specific.
And yet... another example where you don't know anything about law and yet still insist on trying to give "advice'???

Do the forum a favor and shut the hell up until you at least watch 2 years of Judge Milian.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">