• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

advice for friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

koalablue

What is the name of your state? california

So, this is the story.. a friend separated from wife 18 years ago. He stayed in the house, she took the kids. He paid child support (deducted from his paycheck). Kids are long grown. Wife now wants to file for divorce and take half of the house and half of his 401k. Can she do this? She is claiming they only separated 4 years ago.

Thanks!

koalablue

lol... i'm not involved with him... a girlfriend is.. if that is true... there is something (probably many things) wrong with our system of justice. And yes.. i agree, he should have taken care of it years ago... Don't understand how she can get half when she has not contributed to the house in 18 years...

brisgirl825

koalablue said:
lol... i'm not involved with him... a girlfriend is.. if that is true... there is something (probably many things) wrong with our system of justice. And yes.. i agree, he should have taken care of it years ago... Don't understand how she can get half when she has not contributed to the house in 18 years...
Well she would not have been entitled to all the extra equity had he filed for divorce. This is the price of procrastination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">