• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice for future assets after legal separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beachcrow

I have this question that is of great concern of both my partner and I. I have been legally separated from my ex-wife for over 8 yrs now. This was in California which she is still living there now. My girlfriend and I have been together for 6 years which we are living on the east coast now. We are in the process of purchasing a new home for us which she does have some concern on the possibility that my ex could come after our future assets such as the house. Is this something that I should be concerned about? I mean, putting the title in both of our names would be want we want but, if my ex could come after this down the road, this is something we are worried about.

Just so you know, my partner and I are not really interested in getting married in the future since we both had a terrible first marriages. We are very happy in our relationship status as is.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Joe

Just Blue

I have this question that is of great concern of both my partner and I. I have been legally separated from my ex-wife for over 8 yrs now. This was in California which she is still living there now. My girlfriend and I have been together for 6 years which we are living on the east coast now. We are in the process of purchasing a new home for us which she does have some concern on the possibility that my ex could come after our future assets such as the house. Is this something that I should be concerned about? I mean, putting the title in both of our names would be want we want but, if my ex could come after this down the road, this is something we are worried about.

Just so you know, my partner and I are not really interested in getting married in the future since we both had a terrible first marriages. We are very happy in our relationship status as is.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Joe
Don't purchase Real Estate with a girlfriend. Do a search through the RE forum and see how difficult it is to deal with property during a break up.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Bay, he hasn't divorced the first wife, shacking up with the second. I highly suggest DIVORCE before he continues on the path he is going on. Purchase of RE now - BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD idea.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
As for whether your wife can claim an interest even if you are legally separated -- depends on the wording of your separation agreement that has been ordered by the court. YOu need to review it with a lawyer that is familiar with the law in the state of jurisdiction. In regards to the other posts -- yes it is a bad idea to purchase real estate jointly with a girlfriend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">