• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Affidavit of Service by International Mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

menacethegenius

I am from Pennsylvania. I am attempting to assist a colleague in Sweden with an action of divorce. He is the defendant in the case and is attempting to file for divorce locally in Pennsyvania from Sweden. I have provided him with all the necessary forms but one thing I am not clear on is the process of service. We can have it sent by certified mail but is that going to constitute good service in the local courts? He is filing all the paper work through a Swedish lawyer (my colleague). It is all very irritating with the nuances of local law. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am from Pennsylvania. I am attempting to assist a colleague in Sweden with an action of divorce. He is the defendant in the case and is attempting to file for divorce locally in Pennsyvania from Sweden. I have provided him with all the necessary forms but one thing I am not clear on is the process of service. We can have it sent by certified mail but is that going to constitute good service in the local courts? He is filing all the paper work through a Swedish lawyer (my colleague). It is all very irritating with the nuances of local law. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
He should really contact an attorney in PA

mistoffolees

He should really contact an attorney in PA
Exactly - for at least 2 reasons:

1. Just what would a Swedish lawyer know about filing for divorce in PA?
2. I don't know exactly what assistance OP is offering, but he/she needs to be very careful not to cross the line and offering legal assistance. Doing so without a law degree is illegal.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Exactly - for at least 2 reasons:

1. Just what would a Swedish lawyer know about filing for divorce in PA?
2. I don't know exactly what assistance OP is offering, but he/she needs to be very careful not to cross the line and offering legal assistance. Doing so without a law degree is illegal.
Psst, that would be law license.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well...our OP IS posting about SWEDISH law as it relates to practicing law.

mistoffolees

Well...our OP IS posting about SWEDISH law as it relates to practicing law.
I'm not 100% sure but sounds like the case will be filed in PA. His colleague is living in Sweden and talking with a Swedish lawyer. Where it gets funny is that he says that his colleague is the defendant, but also says that he's filing for divorce.

There's also the question of where the colleague's stbx lives. I assume that he/she lives in PA since the action is taking place in PA, but that's not spelled out. But in that case, the service would not be international (as stated in the title) - it would be a PA resident being served with documents from a PA court.

I guess a little clarification is in order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">