• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After divorce...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ValpLioness

What is the name of your state? Florida
My divorce was final Nov. 1, 2004. My husband knew I didn't have the funds to contest it. It's been 3 years..I had grounds on him of abandonment, adultrey..several others, but...never could get the help needed to file myself, so ...all I ask for was to go back to my maiden name, he told me his attorney would add that in the papers..(filed in SC)...but the final decree did not have it, I also..never signed anything...my question...can I take my maiden name back without having to go through all the court costs an sums that attorneys have quoted me so far, or do I have to pay to have my name back?

Last edited:

LdiJ

ValpLioness said:
My divorce was final Nov. 1, 2004. My husband knew I didn't have the funds to contest it. It's been 3 years..I had grounds on him of abandonment, adultrey..several others, but...never could get the help needed to file myself, so ...all I ask for was to go back to my maiden name, he told me his attorney would add that in the papers..(filed in SC)...but the final decree did not have it, I also..never signed anything...my question...can I take my maiden name back without having to go through all the court costs an sums that attorneys have quoted me so far, or do I have to pay to have my name back?
It is totally up to you and its simple enough that you can really do it without an attorney. You may even qualify for reduced court costs if your state has that option.

The Florida government website would be a good place for you to start to find out the proceedures needed to change your name.

Gracie3787

ValpLioness said:

Go to www.flcourts.org. They have Family Law forms for name change that can be filled out and filed. They also have list of pro se self help centers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">