• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After divorce, how long does a home deed transfer take?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My question involves divorce in the State of: Missouri.

A client that I have got divorced a few months ago. They still live in the same home. The client is still waiting on the home to transfer from one to the other before they both move out. How long does that usually take?

Thanks as usual.

LdiJ

A client that I have got divorced a few months ago. They still live in the same home. The client is still waiting on the home to transfer from one to the other before they both move out. How long does that usually take?

Thanks as usual.
Normally, a divorced couple either puts the home on the market and splits any proceeds, or if one of them is keeping the home, then the other must refinance into just their name, to both remove the other from the mortgage and deed.

Either one of those options takes as long as it takes. The first takes as long as it takes to find a buyer, and the second could take as little as a couple of months if the party is credit worthly, or might never happen if the party is not.

mistoffolees

Normally, a divorced couple either puts the home on the market and splits any proceeds, or if one of them is keeping the home, then the other must refinance into just their name, to both remove the other from the mortgage and deed.

Either one of those options takes as long as it takes. The first takes as long as it takes to find a buyer, and the second could take as little as a couple of months if the party is credit worthly, or might never happen if the party is not.
But he stated that they were waiting for the home deed to transfer, not the mortgage to be refinanced or the house to be sold, although saying that they're waiting for the deed to transfer before they both move out doesn't make sense unless they're selling it.

If they're simply transferring the deed, it shouldn't take very long - if you're in a hurry, it could be a matter of days in my state, but possibly a bit longer. It depends on your rules for title search and so on. If it has been several months and the deed isn't transferred, then something has probably gone wrong.

BTW, since OP didn't mention a mortgage refinancing, I hope he's not transferring the deed without getting the other person off the mortgage (either by refinancing or by agreement with the mortgage company). If he's representing the person who's giving the house up and you don't get them off the mortgage before signing a quit claim or transferring the deed, then he's not doing what's best for them.

nextwife

Do you mean how long does it take for a deed transferring title to go through the recording process and be posted to the public record?

If so, that varies by county and season. Some counties "post" within a couple day", whereas in busy counties, a doc recorded may not show up as posted until as much as six to eight weeks. Call the title company handling the recording and ask what date they can search to at this point for that county.

If you were their legal counsel, I sure hope you, at minimum, obtained a title report FIRST to verify that no adverse matters had attached to the other parties interest in title!

seniorjudge

Thanks as usual.
This is not automatic; your client must make sure this is done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">