• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

after divorce I offered more

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rob9032

This is in California.

We were married 2 years, no kids, no house. We completed a divorce that was completely final. Several months after the divorce, she complained that it was not fair. I told her that I would give her additional money in order that she be happy about it (I know I'm stupid, but her being happy was somehow important to me). At the time, I held a lot of stock, and I thought it would not be a problem. Several months after my (verbal) offer, she said she would take me up on it (all through email). We agreed on a figure, and i said I would pay when certain stock became available to me. Then the market crashed; I told her that I could only pay when the market comes back. She then sent me a note demanding payment at a certain schedule, and said she contacted an attorney.

My reaction is to cancel the whole thing. As far as I can tell, since the divorce was final, it cannot be altered (except in the case of fraud, and there was none of that). And we don't have a contract, since I was proposing to give her something.

I'm planning to write a letter to her, recounting these events, and rescinding my offer. I will send it cert mail. Is there a problem with this?

LegalBeagle

Rob9032 said:
This is in California.

We were married 2 years, no kids, no house. We completed a divorce that was completely final. Several months after the divorce, she complained that it was not fair. I told her that I would give her additional money in order that she be happy about it (I know I'm stupid, but her being happy was somehow important to me). At the time, I held a lot of stock, and I thought it would not be a problem. Several months after my (verbal) offer, she said she would take me up on it (all through email). We agreed on a figure, and i said I would pay when certain stock became available to me. Then the market crashed; I told her that I could only pay when the market comes back. She then sent me a note demanding payment at a certain schedule, and said she contacted an attorney.

My reaction is to cancel the whole thing. As far as I can tell, since the divorce was final, it cannot be altered (except in the case of fraud, and there was none of that). And we don't have a contract, since I was proposing to give her something.

I'm planning to write a letter to her, recounting these events, and rescinding my offer. I will send it cert mail. Is there a problem with this?
Don't send her anything. Just ignore her. If she wants to pursue this in court, then let her and wait until you are served with court papers. Until then, forget her and move on..

R

Rob9032

thanks

This sounds like good [non-legal] advice. That's what I will do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">