• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In agony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

imlori444

What is the name of your state? Arizona
I have been married 25 years to the same man. I caught him cheating on me 3 days after Christmas, changed the locks and hired an Attorney. He lied about it BEFORE I caught him, because I had suspected he was doing it, so he can't say I was ruthless. Now he wants me to use the cheap way out, and not drag it through the courts. If I use his person (non-attorney) to help file the paperwork, he is willing to give me all the contents of the house, help with the bills, and help with school until I get a good job. If I stick with my Lawyer and drag it through the courts, he is threatening to get ruthless and take every single thing he can, and not help me at all. He has had a good income so it would be very had for me to start over. We have no savings or money to split, and he used up all my inheritance on bills, down payments etc.. He is on the verge of making even MORE money (more than double what it is now) with a percentage of ownership. Do I agree with what he is offering, or should I stick with the Lawyer and hope to get more out of him in respect to his future wealth? This is a no-fault state and I've heard that judges aren't very generous with spousal support. It's a huge gamble. Most of my friends are saying stick with the Lawyer, but I don't have any moeny past the retainer fee to pay him, so that's another debt I could face. He is being cold-hearted, and wants out quick, because he thinks he's in "love" with this tramp, and because of his future potential.

BelizeBreeze

There is insufficient information to give you an answer.

So, answer these questions:

How old are you?

How much have you worked during the marriage?

Did you work while your husband was in school ?

Is the home paid off?

Other questions will be coming.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

imlori444 said:
What is the name of your state? Arizona
I have been married 25 years to the same man. I caught him cheating on me 3 days after Christmas, changed the locks and hired an Attorney. He lied about it BEFORE I caught him, because I had suspected he was doing it, so he can't say I was ruthless. Now he wants me to use the cheap way out, and not drag it through the courts. If I use his person (non-attorney) to help file the paperwork, he is willing to give me all the contents of the house, help with the bills, and help with school until I get a good job. If I stick with my Lawyer and drag it through the courts, he is threatening to get ruthless and take every single thing he can, and not help me at all. He has had a good income so it would be very had for me to start over. We have no savings or money to split, and he used up all my inheritance on bills, down payments etc.. He is on the verge of making even MORE money (more than double what it is now) with a percentage of ownership. Do I agree with what he is offering, or should I stick with the Lawyer and hope to get more out of him in respect to his future wealth? This is a no-fault state and I've heard that judges aren't very generous with spousal support. It's a huge gamble. Most of my friends are saying stick with the Lawyer, but I don't have any moeny past the retainer fee to pay him, so that's another debt I could face. He is being cold-hearted, and wants out quick, because he thinks he's in "love" with this tramp, and because of his future potential.

My response:

Turn the tables on him. Have your attorney file a Petition to have the court order HIM to pay your attorney's fees. It's done all the time.

IAAL

imlori444

More info

Arizona
I am 49 years old, have only worked off and on for those 25 years of marriage..nothing longer than 2 years at a time. He did not graduate from high school but I finished college BEFORE we met, so I basically groomed him throughout our marriage and helped him be successful. We owned an A/C company for a few years and I did ALL the office work for him. He ran away in 1998 with only a "dear John" note to me, but I found him and took him back. Now he's repeating the pattern. We DO NOT own a house, or the cars, or any savings or retirement, or any paid-for assets. We sold our home about 3 1/2 years ago and he has been reluctant to buy another, so we have been renting. Now he is going to make great money and he dumped me right on the verge, hoping to cut me out. Do I have a chance at his future earnings or a stake in his ownership percentage?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">