• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

agreed to pay debt in divorce agreement - then filed bankruptcy - who is liable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dale in VA

I signed a divorce agreement with my ex (in Virginia). I agreed to pay a credit card debt "as soon as financially possible". Eight months later I filed bankruptcy and listed the debt. They credit company went after him. Total debt was $11,000. He said since I signed the agreement to pay the debt that I had to pay him for it. He has been deducting $225 per month out of my child support for five years - total of $13,500 so far. After making minimum payments the debt is only down to $8000. He was supposed to refinance this debt, but never did. Am I really liable for this since it is listed on my credit as a bankruptcy and since I have already paid him $13,500?

W

wil

almost same boat

I live in Virginia and our divorce is final. I signed an aggreement to pay the debts, but have since considered filing for bankruptsy on my ttruck because I can not pay everything. My ex has threatened to come back and take everything and sell it and also sue me for what is still owed once everything is sold if I file on the truck because she is worried about her own self. She says a lawyer told her she can do this. I even had to pay for the divorce. She said and signed a paper saying she wanted nothing we had. Can she really legally do this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">