• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

alcohol evaluations, what do they consist of?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JimH

Washington;

My soon to be Ex wife and I have finally split up due to her excessive drinking. My son has been diagnosed with Fetal Alcohol effect and I have been given full custody, with the exception that she can see him two weekends a month during the day only, no over nights, 10am til 3PM saturday and sunday. I must do all the driving to drop him off and pick him up. She should not drive with him.

Her lawyer knows she is an alcoholic and has even stated such to my attorney. He has scheduled her for an alcohol evaluation Aug 22nd. I want to know what this evaluation consists of, what are her options for treatment, what kind of costs for this rehab, and anything else you can share with me.

Is it easy enough to bluff her way through this to just get away with this by fooling them somehow? She was drinking about 3 liters or more of Gin a week. I was counting and photographing the bottles for about 3 months leading up to the divorce.

Also what are the odds of getting a better then 50/50 split in the settlement with my full custody, and the possible future special care needed and additional education needed my sons now Fetal Alcohol effect situation? A lot of questions, I know. I'm way out of my comfort zone here and could use some guidance.

TinkerBelleLuvr

As opposed to a 'more than 50%' split, what if some of the assets were placed into a trust for that purpose. Both parents would contribute towards that.

JimH

She has no fiscal responsibility, if she gets 150K in cash out of the divorce, the home shopping channel will end up with 30% of that in the first year, eating out will be another large percentage, a few new cars over the next three years, and clothing, jewlery and cosmetic surgery will eat up the rest in 3 years or less. We had seperate accounts over the 10 year marriage because of her complete lack of fiscal control. During all that time, and making 50K per year she had less then 1000 bucks in a savings account. She only paid the groceries, and utilities during all that time. However she did spend just over 500 a month on gin and ciggerettes. 6000 bucks a year for the last 6-8 years this alcohol problem really kicked in.

So no I don't believe it's a reasonable expectation to see her contribute to anything in the future. Actually I think the drinking will really increase when she has so little visitation of our son, and she is alone for weeks at a time between visits.

LdiJ

Washington;

My soon to be Ex wife and I have finally split up due to her excessive drinking. My son has been diagnosed with Fetal Alcohol effect and I have been given full custody, with the exception that she can see him two weekends a month during the day only, no over nights, 10am til 3PM saturday and sunday. I must do all the driving to drop him off and pick him up. She should not drive with him.

Her lawyer knows she is an alcoholic and has even stated such to my attorney. He has scheduled her for an alcohol evaluation Aug 22nd. I want to know what this evaluation consists of, what are her options for treatment, what kind of costs for this rehab, and anything else you can share with me.

Is it easy enough to bluff her way through this to just get away with this by fooling them somehow? She was drinking about 3 liters or more of Gin a week. I was counting and photographing the bottles for about 3 months leading up to the divorce.

Also what are the odds of getting a better then 50/50 split in the settlement with my full custody, and the possible future special care needed and additional education needed my sons now Fetal Alcohol effect situation? A lot of questions, I know. I'm way out of my comfort zone here and could use some guidance.
A property settlement would normally be 50/50, and normally someone's fitness as a parent wouldn't effect a property settlement. It would effect custody, but not a property settlement.

If a child is disabled, normally child support would be calculated with the child's disability taken into consideration.

There is a chance that a judge would/could order that certain marital assets would go into a trust for the child, to ensure the child's continued care, but if that happens, neither parent would control the trust. It would be controlled by a neutral, third party.

You really need to be consulting a local attorney. You shouldn't be relying on advice from an internet message forum.

JimH

Yes I have an attorney, just that the conversations with an attorney are a couple hundred bucks an hour, this is a bit more affordable to get some ideas on what to do, and how things work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">