• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alienation of Affection?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustWantOut

What is the name of your state? Georgia
I have been married approximately 1 1/2 years. I want out. I dearly love my husband and have tried really hard to build a family life for us, but there are external circumstances that just make this a no-win situation.

For starters, he has two children by a previous marriage that are impossible. They both live with their mother in the same town as us and are a huge problem. The son is 19 now and never went beyond the 10th grade. He has been in and out of jail several times and of course, this is why he can't hold down a job, etc. etc. etc. He tried to live briefly with us for a short period of time after I married his dad and started stealing things from the house, inviting friends over for all-night parties. When I put my foot down and said NO this isn't the way we live, of course I was a b-tch, etc. etc. The straw that broke the camels back was one day I found a writing journal of his in the living room when I was cleaning and in it he had written a bunch of garbage about how he was going to kill myself and his father and rob the house and go on a drug spree. He even drew graphic pictures of himself shooting us in the head, etc. etc.

I threw him out. He went back over to his Mom's and does the same things over there, plus the cops have been called to her house twice by the neighbors and the son has been taken in for CDV (once was high and aggravated). I mean, I just don't want to be around this kid! The mother of course always drops the charges.

The girl just turned 14 and we found out last week that she is pregnant! This was after we found out she hadn't been to school in about 4 weeks-- couldn't come up with a report card, finally admitted she had dropped out. Of course wants to keep the baby and her mom is going to help her raise it.

Mom (the ex-wife) doesn't work and has finally blew thru some sort of inheritence she had and filed for bankruptcy last month (before the new laws kicked in).

My husband has started saying things to me like, "I thought you could help me". "It's your job to make me happy". Of course when he married me, none of his past was going to affect us and he understood that I was scared of this son of his. Now, it's like "why don't you like him?" and "You just don't understand my son" And the BIGGIE is that the children are so upset by Dad's new marriage that is what is causing all their problems. I'm sorry but I think these kids had problems way before I came into the picture.

Is this what is called Alienation of Affection? I mean I am in fear for my life here.
Also, I had quit a very good job with a Fortune 500 company to go to work for my husband after we were married and have worked full time with his company for approximately 1 year. Obviously this isn't going to stay the same if I divorce him, am I entitled to some sort of support until I can find a comparable position again?

BelizeBreeze

JustWantOut said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia
I have been married approximately 1 1/2 years. I want out. I dearly love my husband and have tried really hard to build a family life for us, but there are external circumstances that just make this a no-win situation.

For starters, he has two children by a previous marriage that are impossible. They both live with their mother in the same town as us and are a huge problem. The son is 19 now and never went beyond the 10th grade. He has been in and out of jail several times and of course, this is why he can't hold down a job, etc. etc. etc. He tried to live briefly with us for a short period of time after I married his dad and started stealing things from the house, inviting friends over for all-night parties. When I put my foot down and said NO this isn't the way we live, of course I was a b-tch, etc. etc. The straw that broke the camels back was one day I found a writing journal of his in the living room when I was cleaning and in it he had written a bunch of garbage about how he was going to kill myself and his father and rob the house and go on a drug spree. He even drew graphic pictures of himself shooting us in the head, etc. etc.

I threw him out. He went back over to his Mom's and does the same things over there, plus the cops have been called to her house twice by the neighbors and the son has been taken in for CDV (once was high and aggravated). I mean, I just don't want to be around this kid! The mother of course always drops the charges.

The girl just turned 14 and we found out last week that she is pregnant! This was after we found out she hadn't been to school in about 4 weeks-- couldn't come up with a report card, finally admitted she had dropped out. Of course wants to keep the baby and her mom is going to help her raise it.

Mom (the ex-wife) doesn't work and has finally blew thru some sort of inheritence she had and filed for bankruptcy last month (before the new laws kicked in).

My husband has started saying things to me like, "I thought you could help me". "It's your job to make me happy". Of course when he married me, none of his past was going to affect us and he understood that I was scared of this son of his. Now, it's like "why don't you like him?" and "You just don't understand my son" And the BIGGIE is that the children are so upset by Dad's new marriage that is what is causing all their problems. I'm sorry but I think these kids had problems way before I came into the picture.

Is this what is called Alienation of Affection? I mean I am in fear for my life here.
Also, I had quit a very good job with a Fortune 500 company to go to work for my husband after we were married and have worked full time with his company for approximately 1 year. Obviously this isn't going to stay the same if I divorce him, am I entitled to some sort of support until I can find a comparable position again?
And you did now know this before you married him?

You have nothing but a plain, brown hillbilly divorce. As for support, VERY unlikely. You have only been married a short time, you VOLUNTARILY gave up your position (for what reason is irrelevant) and your circumstances have not changed.

Simply put, you can divorce and take with you what you brought into the marriage and 1/2 of marital assets but more don't hold your breath.

JustWantOut

And you did now know this before you married him?
I didn't know how bad the stepson really was. When I met his dad and married him, the boy was ensconced in a "private school". I later learned that he was away at some reform school that was the only option besides jail the kid had after his last crime spree as a juvenile (he carjacked a woman, went joyriding in her car, stole her purse, and finally got caught by the cops doing a drug buy with what was left of the woman's money the day after he did all this). They allowed the parents to put him in this school vs. doing time in the state system. He got out when he was 18 and that is when he came to live with us and things went so "spectacularly".

I was always told the daughter was just a "straight A angel" and never a problem, and honestly this is the first thing that she has really screwed up -- and WOW, didn't she do it well?

You have nothing but a plain, brown hillbilly divorce
It may sound "hillbilly" on my husband's ex-family's side but there are considerable assets involved in my marriage (i.e., a home in downtown Atlanta, a farm outside of the city, horses, stocks, bonds, 2 different country club memberships).

you VOLUNTARILY gave up your position (for what reason is irrelevant) and your circumstances have not changed.

Yes, I did resign my position with a company I had been with for 15 years to go to work for my husband's company at less pay and no health insurance, I have to provide my own. I did it to launch a marketing campaign for him and his business has more than doubled since I have worked for him doing marketing and sales.
I suppose I could continue to work for him and then it would be his option to fire me, etc...

BelizeBreeze

These issues change my answer not one iota.

These are property isses for which you have given no background. Did the two of you purchase these 'assets' together during the marriage? Or did one of you purchase these 'assets' before the marriage?

Did you receive a salary from 'his' business? Was 'his' business existing before the marriage?

Get the point?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">