• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gettindivorced

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

my wife and i have been together seven years. we put each other through school. for a few years she was the primary earner and i got a degree in computer science. now i am the primary earner and she has 3 classes left for a degree in fine art. she has left me for another man. so now she will have a worthless degree (i mean what can you do with an art degree, not much) so she will most likely be working a job that pays $10 an hour. i make double what she makes. my question is will i have to pay alimony? its not my fault she chose a worthless degree.

thanks

Litigation!

gettindivorced said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

my wife and i have been together seven years. we put each other through school. for a few years she was the primary earner and i got a degree in computer science. now i am the primary earner and she has 3 classes left for a degree in fine art. she has left me for another man. so now she will have a worthless degree (i mean what can you do with an art degree, not much) so she will most likely be working a job that pays $10 an hour. i make double what she makes. my question is will i have to pay alimony? its not my fault she chose a worthless degree.

thanks

My response:

It's also her fault for having chosen a worthless human being like you! Perhaps the "other man" is better. Hopefully.

But, she won't get alimony (spousal support) either. Your marriage was too short.

IAAL

gettindivorced

screw u litigation. i have always been supportive of her career choice. she left me for a guy ten years younger, not even 21 yet and she is not gonna party with her new boyfriend on my dime. she hurt me and i am bitter. she is throwing away 7 years of marriage for a 20 year old. i would have supported her for the rest of her life even if she mad no money as an artist. but i will be dammed if i am gonna support her and her boy toy.

LdiJ

gettindivorced said:
screw u litigation. i have always been supportive of her career choice. she left me for a guy ten years younger, not even 21 yet and she is not gonna party with her new boyfriend on my dime. she hurt me and i am bitter. she is throwing away 7 years of marriage for a 20 year old. i would have supported her for the rest of her life even if she mad no money as an artist. but i will be dammed if i am gonna support her and her boy toy.
I disagree that she won't get some limited spousal support. She supported you while you got your degree, its very possible that a judge would at least order some limited support until she finishes hers. Not guaranteed by any means, but possible.

I know you are bitter, and you deserve to be bitter...but you have to let it go. That kind of bitterness will only hurt you in a court battle. It will make you make decisions based on your emotional needs rather than ones born out of logic.

Bali Hai

P_Mills said:
I don't think she can get allamony if she is living with someone else.

That has nothing to do with it.

You'll be better off discussing the alimony issue with an attorney in your area.

New Jersey is alot like NY. You're a man and you never know what the court is going to whack you with next.

Take the other posters advice and when the court jams it up your @ss, smile and act like you want more. Believe me, there is more they can & will do if you go in there with an attitude.

P_Mills

I don't know about New Jersey but in Texas you wouldn't have to pay allamony to an ex-spouse that is in another relation and living with someone else. He shouldn't have to pay.

Bali Hai

P_Mills said:
I don't know about New Jersey but in Texas you wouldn't have to pay allamony to an ex-spouse that is in another relation and living with someone else. He shouldn't have to pay.
And we all know about Texans: You don't mess with a mans hat, gun, boots or woman. In that order.

gettindivorced

he is living with his mother. i am currently in a seperate bedroom. i am moving out at the end of the month. but whenever i am not home he is here and i am sure that after i move out he will be moving in.

gettindivorced

she wants to seperate for 18 months and then get a divorce. she wants to work out alimony betwenn us and not throught the courts and lawyers, am i better off going this route, than being ordered to pay alimony by the court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">