• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? oh.

I just have a quick question. Some of you are familiar...our court date was not extended and we are to appear next week for our divorce.
My question is; today someone brought up that alimony can be tax deductible. (I agreed on 500 a month for a few years) is it tax deductible? Does it work like child support? Just curious.

Bali Hai

I just have a quick question. Some of you are familiar...our court date was not extended and we are to appear next week for our divorce.
My question is; today someone brought up that alimony can be tax deductible. (I agreed on 500 a month for a few years) is it tax deductible? Does it work like child support? Just curious.
Alimony is income and therefore you will need to pay tax on it. It is tax deductible to your husband.

So depending on your tax bracket, you may have to pay around $1000 in taxes and your husband will get a $1000 refund.

What does your agreement of $500 / month have to do with the deductibility??

LdiJ

It is taxable income to you, and an above the line tax deduction to him. Go to www.irs.gov and search for "tax rate tables" and you can find out how much you will have to save for federal taxes.

Since you will be filing as single, deduct 8450.00 from your income before figuring out your marginal tax rate. Mostly likely you are going to be in the 25% marginal tax bracket, so its important that you plan to save money for the taxes. You also need to double check your withholding at work, because you may need to adjust that as well.

Bali Hai

It is taxable income to you, and an above the line tax deduction to him. Go to www.irs.gov and search for "tax rate tables" and you can find out how much you will have to save for federal taxes.

Since you will be filing as single, deduct 8450.00 from your income before figuring out your marginal tax rate. Mostly likely you are going to be in the 25% marginal tax bracket, so its important that you plan to save money for the taxes. You also need to double check your withholding at work, because you may need to adjust that as well.
Maybe she can determine the tax on the alimony and break the agreement to increase that yearly amount paid by the husband.

I'm sure she was planning on spending the whole $500 per month and not thinking about paying taxes on it.

After all she gave him the best years of her life and deserves a free ride!

LdiJ

Maybe she can determine the tax on the alimony and break the agreement to increase that yearly amount paid by the husband.

I'm sure she was planning on spending the whole $500 per month and not thinking about paying taxes on it.

After all she gave him the best years of her life and deserves a free ride!
Bali, this particular situation is far different than you realize. She is actually being incredibly nice to her stbx.

Bali Hai

Bali, this particular situation is far different than you realize. She is actually being incredibly nice to her stbx.
They both have good jobs and I think the husband is being incredibly nice to her. She would have to fight most other husbands to get a dime of alimony.

Again, men pay women alimony because it's "traditional" and it's a bunch of crap.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
They both have good jobs and I think the husband is being incredibly nice to her. She would have to fight most other husbands to get a dime of alimony.

Again, men pay women alimony because it's "traditional" and it's a bunch of crap.
Bali review the history of this poster.

Bali Hai

Bali review the history of this poster.

02-04-2007, 07:29 AM
This sucks
Member Join Date: Feb 2007

I am not really looking for support from my husband. I just want whats fair for the things we have aquired throughout this marriage. My husband and myself both have nice incomes.

I retreived this for your benefit since you may have forgotten.

I also remind you that she cut off the pootang four years before her husband went out and had an affair and kid with a "younger, prettier and firmer woman the age of her daughter".

I also remind you that it was you Ohiogal who advised this poster to accept the husbands alimony offer.

Now she's back wanting more because she needs to pay tax on it! Jesus H. Christ! When are these woman going to grow up and face real world responsibility??

LdiJ

02-04-2007, 07:29 AM
This sucks
Member Join Date: Feb 2007

I am not really looking for support from my husband. I just want whats fair for the things we have aquired throughout this marriage. My husband and myself both have nice incomes.

I retreived this for your benefit since you may have forgotten.

I also remind you that she cut off the pootang four years before her husband went out and had an affair and kid with a "younger, prettier and firmer woman the age of her daughter".

I also remind you that it was you Ohiogal who advised this poster to accept the husbands alimony offer.

Now she's back wanting more because she needs to pay tax on it! Jesus H. Christ! When are these woman going to grow up and face real world responsibility??
Bali, I am beginning to believe that you have trouble reading. She asked how it worked, she made no mention of asking for additional to cover the taxes. That came out of your imagination.

Bali Hai

Bali, I am beginning to believe that you have trouble reading. She asked how it worked, she made no mention of asking for additional to cover the taxes. That came out of your imagination.
No it did not come out of my imagination, I gleaned this from her question.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No it did not come out of my imagination, I gleaned this from her question.
No Bali, You did not. Your imagination forced it out because of your bitterness. No where did this poster ask about increasing the alimony for the taxes. NOWHERE! You are the one who suggested it.

Bali Hai

No Bali, You did not. Your imagination forced it out because of your bitterness. No where did this poster ask about increasing the alimony for the taxes. NOWHERE! You are the one who suggested it.
I may have been born yesterday but I wasn't born last night.

Why didn't OP put this post in the tax category???

Bali Hai

And since she already started the thread here and she has been answered by Ld in the past it makes sense that she would continue it here. :)
Ld frequents the Tax Law forum also. If I were this posters husband and she approached for more money, the judge would be deciding whether she got alimony at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">