• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony vs Domestic Violence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sgeorge1701

What is the name of your state? California.

Hello - I have a question:

I've been married for 12 years. I earn 95K a year - my soon to be ex-wife (stay at home for 10 years) - just started working for $30K a year.

She just pled guilty to Misdemeanor domestic violence (the weapons charge was dropped in court - scissors thrown at me).

She's been abusive for years - since we discussed the divorce it got worse.

I'll be getting 100% legal custody of our 10 year old daughter and visitation rights will be hashed out in court.

Question:

How much do I have to pay and for how long?

Thanks,
S

fairisfair

no one can answer that question. Spousal support is basically left up to the judge hearing the case.

I certainly hope that you are petitioning for child support.

lwpat

California is a community property state so you will have to divide the property. There is also the issue of child support. Since you will have 100% custody, she will be responsible for paying you child support. All of this needs to be discussed with your attorney since the issues are very complex.

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state? California.

Hello - I have a question:

I've been married for 12 years. I earn 95K a year - my soon to be ex-wife (stay at home for 10 years) - just started working for $30K a year.

She just pled guilty to Misdemeanor domestic violence (the weapons charge was dropped in court - scissors thrown at me).

She's been abusive for years - since we discussed the divorce it got worse.

I'll be getting 100% legal custody of our 10 year old daughter and visitation rights will be hashed out in court.

Question:

How much do I have to pay and for how long?

Thanks,
S
Not only were you a victim of DV, you are henpecked and brainwashed. These women got you right where they want you for you to even ask that question.

Don't even ask your attorney that question or you'll be paying more for longer.

Your question should be: Since she has a good job and won't need any additional support, how much child support will I be getting?

LdiJ

Not only were you a victim of DV, you are henpecked and brainwashed. These women got you right where they want you for you to even ask that question.

Your question should be: Since she has a good job and won't need any additional support, how much child support will I be getting?
30k in CA would barely pay for rent somewhere.

fairisfair

"THESE WOMEN"???? how many wives does he have???:p

LdiJ

Well that's her problem now isn't it??
Its also his.....they have a fairly long term marriage and he makes 3 times the money she makes....and she was a sahm. You may not like it, but its reality. She is highly likely to get some short term alimony.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Its also his.....they have a fairly long term marriage and he makes 3 times the money she makes....and she was a sahm. You may not like it, but its reality. She is highly likely to get some short term alimony.
Which should increase the amount of child support she would have to pay him as it would be considered HER income.

LdiJ

Which should increase the amount of child support she would have to pay him as it would be considered HER income.
That's assuming that he is correct that he will get custody...that may very well be true, but its not automatically a given.

Bali Hai

The other side:

He makes the money he makes because HE EARNS it!

She was a sahm because SHE choose to do that INSTEAD of EARNING her way.

You may not like it, but it's reality.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">