• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony for wife that makes almost as much as me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carlos12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Our divorce is imminent, just a matter of time and logistics. I will pay child support, but will I have to pay her alimony when she will be making almost as much money as me?

Carlos22

carlos12

We've been married 15 years. She has never worked, but recently graduated from a medical college and will be making approximately 80% of what I make

mistoffolees

We've been married 15 years. She has never worked, but recently graduated from a medical college and will be making approximately 80% of what I make
Ask your attorney, but it's not likely to be all that much. Maybe for a few years.

Edit:

I should clarify: when you say 'will be making 80% of what I am' does that mean she has a job at that salary level or are you just guessing? If she actually has a job, my advice applies. If she doesn't have a job, you will have to ask the court ti impute income to her and it may not be what you think it should be.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">