• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Almost Ex canceled Health Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Deja_vu2000

What is the name of your state?Missouri
I filed for divorce in June 2004, I had been covered under my husband's health/dental insurance since 1998. I found out in July 2004, that they canceled my Health/Dental Insurance & they backdated the cancellation to the date I filed for divorce. I have been making COBRA payments for insurance since 07/2004. We are still not divorced (because he keeps having the date continued).

Per Missouri Statute 452.317 he can't cancel. He claims that he did not cancel, and that his employer did. They claim that I no longer meet the requirements of a 'dependent' because I filed for divorce. He admits he called his employer & told them that we were going to get divorced.

Can I force him to reimburse me for my COBRA payments? I have paid over $2500 since 07/2005 and can not get coverage through my employement until I'm divorced (or open enrollment period).

Deja_vu2000 said:
What is the name of your state?Missouri
I filed for divorce in June 2004, I had been covered under my husband's health/dental insurance since 1998. I found out in July 2004, that they canceled my Health/Dental Insurance & they backdated the cancellation to the date I filed for divorce. I have been making COBRA payments for insurance since 07/2004. We are still not divorced (because he keeps having the date continued).

Per Missouri Statute 452.317 he can't cancel. He claims that he did not cancel, and that his employer did. They claim that I no longer meet the requirements of a 'dependent' because I filed for divorce. He admits he called his employer & told them that we were going to get divorced.

Can I force him to reimburse me for my COBRA payments? I have paid over $2500 since 07/2005 and can not get coverage through my employement until I'm divorced (or open enrollment period).

I do not know where you are in your process, however, the insurance company is not going to cancel without giving notice to you (usually) and it had to be done under the direction of your husband(Obliviously). I would file for temp orders and cite the reason why, and I would give a strong yes that the Judge is going to direct him to make the Cobra payments, what he did was a no no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">