• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I divorced?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikefc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I tried to get my wife back, but after a year I accepted the fact that she wasn't coming back. So, I told her that I would get a lawyer and file for divorce. Unbeknownst to me, she quickly hired a lawyer and filed the day before I was set to file.

So, we have gone through a mediation and all that, and the next step was to file the paperwork and be done with it. But, she owed her lawyer some money and they haven't filed the paperwork yet. They won't until they are fully paid.

I spent $275 on paperwork from a paralegal. Because she was first to file, then I have had to abide by her timeframe. But, we had our mediation in July of 2008. We should have been done 60 days after that, but as of today, I have not received any final divorce decree in the mail.

I never wanted a divorce in the first place, but I certainly don't want it to be dragged on forever.

Can I do anything about this? Can I hire a lawyer and counter-sue, or whatever, to get the process moving, or put back into my hands, or something? I have no idea how much she owes but she keeps informing me, when I ask, that she will contact them and take care of it.

Any useful advise is appreciated. Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I tried to get my wife back, but after a year I accepted the fact that she wasn't coming back. So, I told her that I would get a lawyer and file for divorce. Unbeknownst to me, she quickly hired a lawyer and filed the day before I was set to file.

So, we have gone through a mediation and all that, and the next step was to file the paperwork and be done with it. But, she owed her lawyer some money and they haven't filed the paperwork yet. They won't until they are fully paid.

I spent $275 on paperwork from a paralegal. Because she was first to file, then I have had to abide by her timeframe. But, we had our mediation in July of 2008. We should have been done 60 days after that, but as of today, I have not received any final divorce decree in the mail.

I never wanted a divorce in the first place, but I certainly don't want it to be dragged on forever.

Can I do anything about this? Can I hire a lawyer and counter-sue, or whatever, to get the process moving, or put back into my hands, or something? I have no idea how much she owes but she keeps informing me, when I ask, that she will contact them and take care of it.

Any useful advise is appreciated. Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You could possibly hire an attorney to draw up the paperwork that her attorney is supposed to be drawing up, to get the process back on track and moving towards a final resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">