• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I divorced here or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

a1961moose

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Ohio
I got married in Singapore and then later here in Ohio. We got formally divorced in Singapore, does that mean I am divorced here also? Do I need to file papers here as well? I am a US citizen she is a PR, but has been back there for some time now.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Ohio
I got married in Singapore and then later here in Ohio. We got formally divorced in Singapore, does that mean I am divorced here also? Do I need to file papers here as well? I am a US citizen she is a PR, but has been back there for some time now.
Did you get divorced in Singapore AFTER getting married in Ohio?

a1961moose

Did you get divorced in Singapore AFTER getting married in Ohio?
I got married in Singapore and then had a civil ceremony here a couple months later, we got divorced over there a couple years back, but thought I still had to divorce here. Now I have been told that getting divorced over there applies over here as well. Not sure how to proceed.

a1961moose

If he was "formally" divorced in Singapore and subsequently remarried in Ohio, we are dealing with a screwball.
I didn't get "remarried"...we got married there and then I thought it was the best way to handle immigration issues if we got married here also, and I don't consider myself a screwball.

LdiJ

I got married in Singapore and then had a civil ceremony here a couple months later, we got divorced over there a couple years back, but thought I still had to divorce here. Now I have been told that getting divorced over there applies over here as well. Not sure how to proceed.
Your Singapore divorce counts in the US as well. There is no need to divorce twice.

a1961moose

Your Singapore divorce counts in the US as well. There is no need to divorce twice.
Thank you... is there any paperwork I need to file just so there is some kind of record of the divorce here? Or just keeping a copy of the divorce decree is enough?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">