• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am i divorced or not

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trisha82162

What is the name of your state?Connecticut

I filed for divorce in 1991.Went to court settled on everything and I received a letter from my lawyer that I was granted a divorce on my last court date.I never received a divorce decree and now when I tried to get a copy so I can remarry.I was told the letter was a mistake. I have been living all the years like I was divorced because I thought I was. Am I divorced or not? The letter stated I was granted a divorce, custody of the kids and so on. It was signed by the lawyer. What do I do now if I am not? I have no clue where my (ex) husband is.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Until you have a certified copy of the actual decree, signed by a judge, I'd assume you're not. What a lawyer told you doesn't replace that piece of paper.

LdiJ

Happy Trails said:
You need to get in contact with that lawyer.
That was 15 years ago....it could be tough to get ahold of that attorney, or easily access the attorney's records.... :eek:

Happy Trails

LdiJ said:
That was 15 years ago....it could be tough to get ahold of that attorney, or easily access the attorney's records.... :eek:
I assumed it was her lawyer or someone that works for the lawyer that told her the letter was a mistake (when she inquired about a copy.)

She needs to find out why the letter may or may not be a mistake.

We can't answer that for her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">