• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I entitled to......?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tamalamb40

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I married 6 years ago. My husband bought our house just before we met. He stayed with his mother and myself because the house was not fit to live in. We moved into the house while we renovated and prior to our marriage. I have a letter that he wrote to his lawyer requesting that the deed to the house be changed to include my name. The Lawyer responded, saying it would be better to wait until we were married. Stating that the fees would be less. We married a year later and lived in the house as man and wife for 5 additional years. My name was never added to the deed on the house. I have invested alot of time and money to this house. Don't I deserve something?

M

ms.howard

I believe that you are intitled to something and if you are husband and wife I think that your name should defiantly be added to that house.

kat1963

Yes, in MD the equity from the time you were married until the divorce. So what was the house worth when you married and what is it worth now? Of course like everything else, it is just another chip to be bargined with. You can always ask for more considering that you worked on it before marriage..., worth a shot anyway.
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">