• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am I legally married to "HIM"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

marital-woes

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

Here is the situation: April 30th license obtaind, May 1st ceremony performed by minister. 2 weeks prior I learned that my cancer would cause me to die before my 5 year old sees the light of 10 years. Lots of duress. License has NEVER been filed. We have no joint ventures of any kind. I have never used his "name". Nothing in our lives changed, with the exception of a ceremony ....... he is now "gone" and I need to know if the law considers me legally married to this man to where I need a divorce or an annulment? My question basically is since marriage license was never filed to where a marriage certificate was issued... does that mean I'm legally free of this man????

VG1013

marital-woes said:
What is the name of your state? Arkansas

Here is the situation: April 30th license obtaind, May 1st ceremony performed by minister. 2 weeks prior I learned that my cancer would cause me to die before my 5 year old sees the light of 10 years. Lots of duress. License has NEVER been filed. We have no joint ventures of any kind. I have never used his "name". Nothing in our lives changed, with the exception of a ceremony ....... he is now "gone" and I need to know if the law considers me legally married to this man to where I need a divorce or an annulment? My question basically is since marriage license was never filed to where a marriage certificate was issued... does that mean I'm legally free of this man????

I'm sorry about your condition...I truly am. If your marriage license has never been filed, and you haven't received a marriage certificate. I would say your not legally married. But to be certain, check with the minister who performed the ceremony. He was suppose to send in the marriage license to show he performed the marriage. If he did send it in...then you must check to where he sent it, and find out why you didn't get a copy of the certificate. This is the only way you will know for sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">