• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I legally obligated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

burnt out

What is the name of your state?Maine

Hi all.. just wanted to know if anyone can help me.
Divorced in 9/99 Two children. I asked for a CS review because oldest child turned 12 in 1/05 and has never been modified since 99. Finanally got all the paperwork filled out and then it was sent to the AG office and CS was ordered to go from $151 to $177 .. Ex contested the findings, hired a lawyer and had me served with Notification of discovery papers requesting all kinds of information about my husband.. met him at the end of 2002 and didn't marry until 6/04.. didn't live with him until 4/04 .. they are requesting all income tax records from 2000 to present.. checkbook ledgers all loan applications.. the list goes on.. now I know he's doing this because he thinks I'm hiding stuff.. which fine.. I have nothing to hide.. but my question is.. am I legally obligated to produce such evidence since my husband isn't financially or legally obligated to pay for these children? I talked to the AG office and they said that sometimes yes you do. Now if my husband has to provide all of this information shouldn't the ex's wife of 4 months have to also .. plus she's been living with him and financially helping him out since 2001.. I could care less if he ever paid anything to his children if it meant I never had to deal with this man again.. however I don't think that is in the best interest of my children.. it's their right to continue to have and build a relationship with their father..
Now he's screaming that I have the capcity to earn more money but I chose not to.. I work 35 hrs/week for my husbands business (corporation all above board) because our youngest child is autistic and it gives me the flexibility of being able to drop what I'm doing if something arises at school. My wages have continued to rise since our divorce in 99 from $5000 to $14000/year and his have only gone up $700
Phew.. sorry.. venting a little here.. any advice would be appreciated.

Bali Hai

burnt out said:
What is the name of your state?Maine

Hi all.. just wanted to know if anyone can help me.
Divorced in 9/99 Two children. I asked for a CS review because oldest child turned 12 in 1/05 and has never been modified since 99. Finanally got all the paperwork filled out and then it was sent to the AG office and CS was ordered to go from $151 to $177 .. Ex contested the findings, hired a lawyer and had me served with Notification of discovery papers requesting all kinds of information about my husband.. met him at the end of 2002 and didn't marry until 6/04.. didn't live with him until 4/04 .. they are requesting all income tax records from 2000 to present.. checkbook ledgers all loan[/Bapplications.. the list goes on.. now I know he's doing this because he thinks I'm hiding stuff.. which fine.. I have nothing to hide.. but my question is.. am I legally obligated to produce such evidence since my husband isn't financially or legally obligated to pay for these children? I talked to the AG office and they said that sometimes yes you do. Now if my husband has to provide all of this information shouldn't the ex's wife of 4 months have to also .. plus she's been living with him and financially helping him out since 2001.. I could care less if he ever paid anything to his children if it meant I never had to deal with this man again.. however I don't think that is in the best interest of my children.. it's their right to continue to have and build a relationship with their father..
Now he's screaming that I have the capcity to earn more money but I chose not to.. I work 35 hrs/week for my husbands business (corporation all above board) because our youngest child is autistic and it gives me the flexibility of being able to drop what I'm doing if something arises at school. My wages have continued to rise since our divorce in 99 from $5000 to $14000/year and his have only gone up $700
Phew.. sorry.. venting a little here.. any advice would be appreciated.

What does your attorney say about all of this?

Personally, I would send the documents back to his attorney with "N/A's" concerning your husbands information being requested.

burnt out

In the process of hiring an attorney, and doing lots of research on the net.

I think the only thing in question is a piece of property (69 acres) my husband purchased before we were married .. it's in his name only and the ex seems to think I'm dumping assests.. I did sell my home that I owned after the CS modification papers were filed, but I already called the AG office and faxed them the HUD-1 information.

Bali Hai

burnt out said:
In the process of hiring an attorney, and doing lots of research on the net.

I think the only thing in question is a piece of property (69 acres) my husband purchased before we were married .. it's in his name only and the ex seems to think I'm dumping assests.. I did sell my home that I owned after the CS modification papers were filed, but I already called the AG office and faxed them the HUD-1 information.
I don't see in the Maine child support calculator where "assets" are used in the equation.

You mean he thinks you are shifting and hiding "income" correct?

burnt out

Yes .. hiding income.. but assets to him are income.. (he's told me this many times)
He even wrote the court complaining that I bought a house and a new truck.. sold my truck and was in the process of selling my home.. am I not suppose to provide a decent place for the kids and have a vehicle in which to transport them to appointments and activities?? This will be the third time he's brought me to court over deductions/CS and now wanting all financial information of my husband.
My biggest beef is.. what does my husband have to do with this.. dollar for dollar he makes more than him.. we just live within our means so it appears we are well off..

Bali Hai

burnt out said:
Yes .. hiding income.. but assets to him are income.. (he's told me this many times)
He even wrote the court complaining that I bought a house and a new truck.. sold my truck and was in the process of selling my home.. am I not suppose to provide a decent place for the kids and have a vehicle in which to transport them to appointments and activities?? This will be the third time he's brought me to court over deductions/CS and now wanting all financial information of my husband.
My biggest beef is.. what does my husband have to do with this.. dollar for dollar he makes more than him.. we just live within our means so it appears we are well off..
Well without knowing his income, the order of magnitude amounts to a maximum difference of about $350/ month using the calculator.

And you would have to be hiding a boat load of income for such a difference.

burnt out

He makes 40 thousand and I make 14 thousand.. his support only went up $26 dollars a week/ $104 a month.. he's probably already paid $1500 to retain a lawyer for more than what it would have cost in the difference his support went up.
LOL .. I don't even have a boat to hide the income in. :)

Bali Hai

burnt out said:
He makes 40 thousand and I make 14 thousand.. his support only went up $26 dollars a week/ $104 a month.. he's probably already paid $1500 to retain a lawyer for more than what it would have cost in the difference his support went up.
LOL .. I don't even have a boat to hide the income in. :)

Well if it makes him "feel" better, more power to him.

It certainly doesn't sound like he's going to get anywhere but poorer.

Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">