• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I legally obliged to pay my soon to be ex-wife's medical insurance for 12 months?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dawiep

What is the name of your state? CO

Thought I was sorting my issues out amicably with my wife, she asked for a payoff in a lump sum that I can live with. Then today she drops this bombshell on me that she's 'found out' that legally I am obligated to pay her medical insuarance for 12 months after the divorce - is this true. (my wife is on Cobra currently, but when this runs out we don't know currently what the amount will go up to) Add to this, she is apparently getting the divorce agreement drawn up and she wants me to sign if I agree to it and give her the money tommorow. When I said that I'd like an attorney just to have a look to cover myself, she flipped out and said that if I was going the attorney route, then so would she and she'd come after me for half of the assets and maintenance (we've only been married for 3.5 years by the way, but she claims to be disabled, which might muddy the waters somewhat.

By the way, sorry for the new thread, but I couldn't add to the old one :)

SHORTY LONG

Thought I was sorting my issues out amicably with my wife, she asked for a payoff in a lump sum that I can live with. Then today she drops this bombshell on me that she's 'found out' that legally I am obligated to pay her medical insuarance for 12 months after the divorce - is this true. (my wife is on Cobra currently, but when this runs out we don't know currently what the amount will go up to) Add to this, she is apparently getting the divorce agreement drawn up and she wants me to sign if I agree to it and give her the money tommorow. When I said that I'd like an attorney just to have a look to cover myself, she flipped out and said that if I was going the attorney route, then so would she and she'd come after me for half of the assets and maintenance (we've only been married for 3.5 years by the way, but she claims to be disabled, which might muddy the waters somewhat.

By all means have your Attorney review it; and why should she flip out.
You posted that she is having a divorce agreement drawn up. Who do
you think is doing the drawing up. And each State is different in their
Divorce Laws.

LdiJ

Why the heck is your "wife" on Cobra NOW!? That should not have happened until your divorce is final. Your wife should have been covered as normal until then. Please tell me that you didn't stop her regular coverage and force her into Cobra before your divorce was final?? Legally you aren't even allowed to DO that.

If you actually did that...then I would personally be asking you to provide coverage for 18 months after the divorce is final, because that is how long Cobra lasts.

dawiep

Why the heck is your "wife" on Cobra NOW!? That should not have happened until your divorce is final. Your wife should have been covered as normal until then. Please tell me that you didn't stop her regular coverage and force her into Cobra before your divorce was final?? Legally you aren't even allowed to DO that.

If you actually did that...then I would personally be asking you to provide coverage for 18 months after the divorce is final, because that is how long Cobra lasts.
No way dude :eek:; she had an accident, developed a neurological condition,quit her job and went on COBRA about 13-14 months ago, we went the COBRA route as that was quite a bit cheaper than adding her to my work insurance

LdiJ

No way dude :eek:; she had an accident, developed a neurological condition,quit her job and went on COBRA about 13-14 months ago, we went the COBRA route as that was quite a bit cheaper than adding her to my work insurance
Dude, you need an attorney....the insurance issues are HUGE here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">