• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am I married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

susanita29718

What is the name of your state? south carolina

i am a u.s. citizen and married a man from mexico in 1991. i later found out that he had a wife and 8 children in mexico. we separated but since i wasn't interrested in marrying again i didn't persue any legal information and continued using his last name. now i have met someone i'd like to marry and need to know if i am already married and need a divorce. if not how do i go about changing everything back to my previous last name?

O

OnlyOneVoice

If he was still legally married to wife number one when he married you then he has committed bigamy and no you aren't legally married to him.

Double check with a family law attorney in your state and then persue your future.

JETX

And now for the post I intended to put here!!!

Why did you even respond to this post?? In one place you give a definitive statement of fact ("no you aren't legally married to him.") and in another you tell them to "Double check with a family law attorney".

Clearly, you are either giving your OPINION (and not a fact) or you are giving a legal fact and further consultation with an attorney would not be required. Simply can't be both.

O

OnlyOneVoice

If he was already legally married then no she is not married because can't be married legally to 2 women at the same time.

I encouraged her to to check with an attorney to be sure she didn't need to press charges against him for bigamy to protect herself in the future. Sometimes i post things based on thoughts I have in my head which readers arent' privy to.

Oh well!!!!:)

JETX

O

OnlyOneVoice

JETX My impression was that she married him in this country.

She stated that she found out he "had a wife and 8 children in Mexico" which lead me to believe that she married him here in the states.

I may be wrong. Let's see what she comes up with.

JETX

Good point... and presumably correct in my re-reading of the thread.

Knock, knock..... writer, are you home??

S

susanita29718

am I married

I did marry him in South Carolina. After a few years I found out he was already married in Mexico. I searched through his papers and found a marriage certificate and several birth certificates so I am sure that it was a legal marriage in Mexico. If I am not married to him how do I go about changing everything back to my previous name (drivers license, social security, etc.)?
And thank you all for the quick responses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">