• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cindi3291

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?Florida

My question.....I was married on May 16, 2004, I later found out the man I married did not receive his final divorce decree from his previous marriage until June 15, 2004. Am I legally married, or what? Can someone help? :confused:

Content

Are you saying he didn't receive the divorce decree in his possession until June 15th or that the judge didn't sign the decree until June 15th?? If it was already signed by the judge before you got married then your fine, if it was signed AFTER you got married then you might want to check with a lawyer in your area to double check.

LdiJ

Content said:
Are you saying he didn't receive the divorce decree in his possession until June 15th or that the judge didn't sign the decree until June 15th?? If it was already signed by the judge before you got married then your fine, if it was signed AFTER you got married then you might want to check with a lawyer in your area to double check.
If it wasn't signed until after they got married, then the marriage isn't valid.
However, I agree that she needs to consult with a local attorney.

cindi3291

His divorce was not final until June 16, 2004, this is the day the judge signed the final decree. I thought his divorce was already final prior to our wedding date of May 16, 2004. So am I married? :confused:

LdiJ

cindi3291 said:
His divorce was not final until June 16, 2004, this is the day the judge signed the final decree. I thought his divorce was already final prior to our wedding date of May 16, 2004. So am I married? :confused:
Yes, you are married, but the marriage isn't legal....its invalid. If you want to be married to him, then you need to see an attorney about annuling the invalid marriage, and you will need to get married again.

If you don't want to remain married to him, then you just need to see an attorney about annuling the invalid marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">