• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I properly communicating?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momxthree

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

Our court order states that I am to furnish my ex with regular updates on the children. Like changes in their school, doctors, if they are going out of town etc. etc... (all important information for both parents to know). We are both also required to keep each other updated on home address, phone numbers and employement information. So, once a month I send the ex an update (everything from how well the youngest is doing potty training... to the oldest having a new boyfriend and anything in between) If something occurs in between each month that is important for him to know, I send more often. I used to send it through e-mail with return receipt and print copies (with his responses) for my records (and I have had to use them in court in the past to PROVE that I was communicating adequately with him). However.... as of two months ago he has changed his cell phone number, quit his job (as soon as the automatic income assignment order made it to his employer), disabled his e-mail address and moved from his home. So, the last two update letters that I have sent I am sending by certified mail (notarized) to his 'last known address' (the address he gave the court in February 2007).
These letters are coming back to me... unopened and not signed for.
His mother, sister, brother (entire family) have no idea where he is or his new phone numbers.... and he is not calling or attempting to communicate with the children (none of my information has changed... as in address or phone numbers so he still has that information).
My question is... am I doing my part? Is there anything else that I can do to keep up my end of the court orders besides sending to his 'last known address'?

It may be important to note that the order does NOT specify the manner in which I communicate this information. Just that: "It is ordered, adjudged and decreed that in the event there are changes with the children's school, doctors and/or daycare/aftercare, XXXX(me) shall provide XXXX(him) with the new information on those changes, including a telephone number and address of new contact information".

If I've left out any important information... please let me know.
And thanks in advance for any information anyone can supply me!!What is the name of your state?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

Our court order states that I am to furnish my ex with regular updates on the children. Like changes in their school, doctors, if they are going out of town etc. etc... (all important information for both parents to know). We are both also required to keep each other updated on home address, phone numbers and employement information. So, once a month I send the ex an update (everything from how well the youngest is doing potty training... to the oldest having a new boyfriend and anything in between) If something occurs in between each month that is important for him to know, I send more often. I used to send it through e-mail with return receipt and print copies (with his responses) for my records (and I have had to use them in court in the past to PROVE that I was communicating adequately with him). However.... as of two months ago he has changed his cell phone number, quit his job (as soon as the automatic income assignment order made it to his employer), disabled his e-mail address and moved from his home. So, the last two update letters that I have sent I am sending by certified mail (notarized) to his 'last known address' (the address he gave the court in February 2007).
These letters are coming back to me... unopened and not signed for.
His mother, sister, brother (entire family) have no idea where he is or his new phone numbers.... and he is not calling or attempting to communicate with the children (none of my information has changed... as in address or phone numbers so he still has that information).
My question is... am I doing my part? Is there anything else that I can do to keep up my end of the court orders besides sending to his 'last known address'?

It may be important to note that the order does NOT specify the manner in which I communicate this information. Just that: "It is ordered, adjudged and decreed that in the event there are changes with the children's school, doctors and/or daycare/aftercare, XXXX(me) shall provide XXXX(him) with the new information on those changes, including a telephone number and address of new contact information".

If I've left out any important information... please let me know.
And thanks in advance for any information anyone can supply me!!What is the name of your state?
Seems like you are doing hat you are supposed to! You didn't mention if you open the letters when you get them back...I would advise not to!

momxthree

No, I do not open them. I just attach them to my copy of the letter along with the Certified Mail receipt and my copy of the letter.
I guess my worry is that I know he doesn't live there anymore so I know that it will come back. But I also KNOW that I MUST continue to send the letters (not CHEAP) anyway.
I'm trying to do everything I am supposed to. I have never gone against a court order. He, however, has been found in contempt more times than I can list and once again is in contempt of the newest order. I just want to make sure that I am doing every thing that I can because...once again.... it seems that I will be searching for a parking space downtown, looking for an empty seat in a crowded court room.... just waiting to air my dirty laundry in front of strangers airing their dirty laundry!!! Oh.. but I do GET to write out another hefty check to my attorney!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">