• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I really married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Stupid101

I separated from my former wife over 6 plus years ago, when I contacted here she informed me that we were divorce and would send paperwork, my copies, time has passed and never gave much thought and remarried in the state of Louisiana a completely different state, but now finding out my marriage of six years ago that I may not be divorce, I’m I still legally married in the state of Louisiana if this is so?:confused:

JETX

If you were married in another state and never divorced, your 'new' marriage is likely NOT valid. Simply, you can't be married to two people at the same time. However, you ARE talking about Louisiana!!!

lsut1ger

ha ha...

LA C.C. Art. 94: Absolutely Null Marriage
A marriage is absolutely null when contracted without a marriage ceremony, by procuration, or in violation of an impediment. A judicial declaration of nullity is not required, but an action to recognize the nullity may be brought by any interested person.

LA C.C. Art. 88: Impediment of Existing Marriage
A married person may not contract another marriage.

So if you are still married in the other state - which I would STRONGLY suggest you find out - then your LA marriage is no good.

Call the courthouse whereever your first divorce was taking place and find out if it was ever finalized.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">