• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I responible for my husbands credit card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pack34

I live in Oregon.. I'm getting a divorce and he moved out of the house May 2005. We are ready to sign papers to make it final. I recieved a call tonight asking for my to be exhusband. From Discover Card. He has not made a payment in months. This card is and has always been in his name only. I said I was his wife to find out the problem. As soon as I said that they said I was responsible for this debt of $2000.00. Even though I'm not on the card.
Is this true??? I'm already giving his $10'000.00 and I keep the small house.
We have all the accounts separate ect... I need to pay him the $10,000.00 tomorrow but I do not want to be responible for all his bills too. What do I do?

Thank you Pack34

LdiJ

pack34 said:
I live in Oregon.. I'm getting a divorce and he moved out of the house May 2005. We are ready to sign papers to make it final. I recieved a call tonight asking for my to be exhusband. From Discover Card. He has not made a payment in months. This card is and has always been in his name only. I said I was his wife to find out the problem. As soon as I said that they said I was responsible for this debt of $2000.00. Even though I'm not on the card.
Is this true??? I'm already giving his $10'000.00 and I keep the small house.
We have all the accounts separate ect... I need to pay him the $10,000.00 tomorrow but I do not want to be responible for all his bills too. What do I do?

Thank you Pack34
Unless Oregon is a community property state (and I don't remember it being on the list) you are not responsible for the card.

However, you probably should get ahold of your attorney before you turn any money over to your ex....to verify that. Its also possible that your ex would agree to you paying off the card directly with part of the money that is due to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">