• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am i responsible for it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curiousperson29

Maryland (only U.S. law)?
after proposing my fiancee's cousin offered to pay for our wedding. after a bunch of confusion her cousin disrespected my family so i told her i dont want her money. she then said she will try to recover what she can from the money she spent and i would have to pay her the rest. am i legally responsible to pay her back when she offered to pay and was not asked to?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
after proposing my fiancee's cousin offered to pay for our wedding. after a bunch of confusion her cousin disrespected my family so i told her i dont want her money. she then said she will try to recover what she can from the money she spent and i would have to pay her the rest. am i legally responsible to pay her back when she offered to pay and was not asked to?
Possibly you could be.

PaulMass

Probably not

OHRoadwarrior

You said you did not want her money. A small claims court could interpret that to mean you owe her reimbursement of her money already spent. Is it likely, No. The thing about exerting your dominance is learning how to not let your mouth override your wallet.

latigo

after proposing my fiancée's cousin offered to pay for our wedding. after a bunch of confusion her cousin disrespected my family so i told her i dont want her money. she then said she will try to recover what she can from the money she spent and i would have to pay her the rest. am i legally responsible to pay her back when she offered to pay and was not asked to?
Curious here as well.

Has the woman offered a theory as to why such expenditures were not freely and irrevocably gifted? How does she rationalize that you should be held responsible anymore than her bride-to-be relative?

But any legal resolution could rest on the mode and the particulars attending your rejection of her gratuitous "offer". Like as in "I told her I don't want her money"!

Anyway it is yours and not her wedding. And since you obviously once committed to bear all the costs . . . .

Just see that she isn't invited. She can always wait for her cousin's next one.

Bali Hai

Curious here as well.

Has the woman offered a theory as to why such expenditures were not freely and irrevocably gifted? How does she rationalize that you should be held responsible anymore than her bride-to-be relative?

But any legal resolution could rest on the mode and the particulars attending your rejection of her gratuitous "offer". Like as in "I told her I don't want her money"!

Anyway it is yours and not her wedding. And since you obviously once committed to bear all the costs . . . .

Just see that she isn't invited. She can always wait for her cousin's next one.
I wondered too if this was the future ex-wife's first wedding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">