• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I still legally married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ariburgos2

What is the name of your state? Puerto Rico:confused:

My first marriage was in Texas and it lasted only 2yrs. I filed for a divorce and did it mysellf using a self-help book. I followed all the procedures and the last thing I did was to appear before a judge, who entered a decision based on a no-contest by my ex. There were no children out of this marriage, nor was there any community property or any other assets involved. This took place in 1976.

I thought I was legally divorced, until last year, when I was looking for my divorce papers and could not find them. I flew to Texas and went to the courthouse to research the matter, and to MY SURPRISE, I was advised by the clerk that my divorce was never final due to either of us filing the last papers with the court.

Since then, I remarried and divorced once more, and I am certain my ex remarried as well. We have not had any contact with each other in over 20 years.

Are we still legally married or is there a statute of limitation on this? What about Social Security when we reach the age? Have we committed bigamy without knowing it? Are there any ramifications, other than the obvious emotional ones?

Please help!
:confused:

LdiJ

You are still married to the first person since there was no judgment in your lawsuit.
Since the judge did render a decision in court, even though no final paperwork was filed and signed by the judge, would this be a situation where a Nunc Pro Tunc could apply?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Since the judge did render a decision in court, even though no final paperwork was filed and signed by the judge, would this be a situation where a Nunc Pro Tunc could apply?
Nunc Pro Tunc is when the court corrects an error it made on its own motion. Would this situation apply? Probably not> WHo was ordered to write the paperwork?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">