• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I still legally married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Perhonen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

This might be kind of odd. I married my ex aroud...2006 I think, I was 19. The marriage didn't last long - only a few months, before I left him to be on my own. He was in the Navy, after I left he went back to texas and is out of the military now. He basically erased all my way to contact him, so when I recently went about to get the divorce papers dealt with, I only had his parent's address.

I wrote his mom to ask for his address and she called me today, and told me that he went to file for divorce last year and that they said it had become void because the papers were never filed after we were married (by a private ....guy, he wasn't quite a minister because we weren't religious, he just did the I 'do's thing.) and that we were basically not legally married, and she said he has been married to his new wife since February.

Naturally, I was overjoyed, but when I called the county clerk's office here in the county we filed the marriage license under, the lady gave me a lot of lip because I didn't remember the EXACT date and name of the guy who did it.

So I'm wondering what is the best way I can go around finding out if I'm still legally married to him or not? Its important because I plan to move to Finland within a couple years and marry my boyfriend (who is finnish.) And I don't want anything to mess it up.

Thanks <3

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

This might be kind of odd. I married my ex aroud...2006 I think, I was 19. The marriage didn't last long - only a few months, before I left him to be on my own. He was in the Navy, after I left he went back to texas and is out of the military now. He basically erased all my way to contact him, so when I recently went about to get the divorce papers dealt with, I only had his parent's address.

I wrote his mom to ask for his address and she called me today, and told me that he went to file for divorce last year and that they said it had become void because the papers were never filed after we were married (by a private ....guy, he wasn't quite a minister because we weren't religious, he just did the I 'do's thing.) and that we were basically not legally married, and she said he has been married to his new wife since February.

Naturally, I was overjoyed, but when I called the county clerk's office here in the county we filed the marriage license under, the lady gave me a lot of lip because I didn't remember the EXACT date and name of the guy who did it.

So I'm wondering what is the best way I can go around finding out if I'm still legally married to him or not? Its important because I plan to move to Finland within a couple years and marry my boyfriend (who is finnish.) And I don't want anything to mess it up.

Thanks <3
Well, you better figure out the date that you were married, and the name of the guy who did it, and then go down to the court house and check the records in person.

However, it sounds to me like the marriage license was void because it was never turned in as you having actually married.

Perhonen

I can get the date from my mom from the announcements she got made, but I still will never know the name of the guy. My ex did a lot of the stuff - and when I left I was a bit scared and basically had my mom kidnap me, lol, so needless to say I don't have any of the original papers. The only thing I remember about the guy was that he looked like charlie chaplin, and he walked like richard simmons. =\

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I can get the date from my mom from the announcements she got made, but I still will never know the name of the guy. My ex did a lot of the stuff - and when I left I was a bit scared and basically had my mom kidnap me, lol, so needless to say I don't have any of the original papers. The only thing I remember about the guy was that he looked like charlie chaplin, and he walked like richard simmons. =\
So your announcements didn't have the guy's name?

TinkerBelleLuvr

So your announcements didn't have the guy's name?
I think she is referring to the fella presiding over the unhappy nuptuals. I think, at least I hope, that she knows WHO she married.

Do you remember WHERE you got married?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think she is referring to the fella presiding over the unhappy nuptuals. I think, at least I hope, that she knows WHO she married.

Do you remember WHERE you got married?
Ahhh, that makes MUCH more sense...phew!

Perhonen

Ahaha xD Of course i remember my ex's name. I don't remember the EXACT location - it was just one of those small ones. We had his two friends only there, near monterey, is what I remember. It was done within like 5 minutes.

Aren't marriages a matter of public record? Why couldn't you just go down to the courthouse of the county you were married in (or got your license in), tell them your maiden name and your ex's name and see if anything was filed? Do you at least know the year and approximate month you were married so you can narrow the search?

Perhonen

Yes, I remember that. I was trying to do that earlier but the lady who was giving me lip basically said just to see that I'd have to buy one. So, I'm going to go down to ask somebody in person about it.

Thank you for all the help guys! =D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">