• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Am I still married?"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lhoriman

What is the name of your state? Nevada

I'm posting this for my girlfriend, who is Mexican (I'm a US citizen in Mexico right now). About five years ago, when she was 20, impulsive, and studying in Las Vegas, she got married to a US citizen. He quickly turned out to be, let's just say, a less than stellar example of humanity. Less than a month after moving in together she left the house and flew back to Mexico and never spoke to the guy again.

She has no idea if the guy divorced or annulled the marriage in the last five years. If she's still married, she would like to fix this mistake.

How can we find out if she is still married? There appear to be a large number of services online that will search records like this for a fee. If that is the best approach, can anyone recommend one?

If she is still married, what's the easiest way to end it? She does not currently have a travel visa for the US so it can't involve physically being in Nevada. Ideally it would not require any interaction with the creep.

Just to add a little color to the story: After a quick bit of web research, we discovered that the creep was convicted of federal wire fraud in the late 90s. Apparently he was part of a telemarketing scam that - get this - called people that had already been defrauded by prior telemarketing scams (run by the same people), claimed to be part of a legal team suing the former scammers, and asked the victims for a retainer fee!

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Jeff

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Nevada

I'm posting this for my girlfriend, who is Mexican (I'm a US citizen in Mexico right now). About five years ago, when she was 20, impulsive, and studying in Las Vegas, she got married to a US citizen. He quickly turned out to be, let's just say, a less than stellar example of humanity. Less than a month after moving in together she left the house and flew back to Mexico and never spoke to the guy again.

She has no idea if the guy divorced or annulled the marriage in the last five years. If she's still married, she would like to fix this mistake.

How can we find out if she is still married? There appear to be a large number of services online that will search records like this for a fee. If that is the best approach, can anyone recommend one?

If she is still married, what's the easiest way to end it? She does not currently have a travel visa for the US so it can't involve physically being in Nevada. Ideally it would not require any interaction with the creep.

Just to add a little color to the story: After a quick bit of web research, we discovered that the creep was convicted of federal wire fraud in the late 90s. Apparently he was part of a telemarketing scam that - get this - called people that had already been defrauded by prior telemarketing scams (run by the same people), claimed to be part of a legal team suing the former scammers, and asked the victims for a retainer fee!

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Jeff
Odds are that she is still married to him. She just needs to hire an attorney and get a divorce. The other alternative would be to track him down and see if he got one, but he doesn't sound like the kind of person who would bother with that kind of legality.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">