• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I still married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shemac0808

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? My State is Kansas. Husband and I got common law married in 2007. We both signed affidavits. In 2011 we entered a civil union. Got our certificate of marriage. Marriage ceremony with judge. In 2013 I filed for divorce. My date of marriage is listed as 2007. Which is the common law marriage. The civil union from 2011 is not mentioned in the filing papers. Nor the decree. Or any paper work from the divorce. Is the civil union marriage from 2011 still valid and in force?

I'mTheFather

How did you answer the question on the marriage certificate regarding prior marriages?

As far as being married or divorced, your 'marriage' occurred when you declared yourselves common-law married. In my opinion, you are now divorced, but why not ask a local attorney? It wouldn't cost much for the peace of mind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">