• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Amending divorce settlement before divorce is final?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taconya

What is the name of your state? Washington State

Greetings,

My sister recently did all the paperwork with her husband for a divorce. At the time they were getting along, so neither asked for anything in the divorce. That has changed now and he is refusing to return her belongings (some of which include family heirlooms). As the divorce will not be final until June, I was wondering if it would be possible for her to go back and amend the paperwork, stipulating that she wants her stuff back. She just turned 20 and the marriage lasted all of four months. ::sighs::.

If anyone knows the answer to this, I would be very appreciative!

Thank you in advance.

~Taconya~

LdiJ

Taconya said:
What is the name of your state? Washington State

Greetings,

My sister recently did all the paperwork with her husband for a divorce. At the time they were getting along, so neither asked for anything in the divorce. That has changed now and he is refusing to return her belongings (some of which include family heirlooms). As the divorce will not be final until June, I was wondering if it would be possible for her to go back and amend the paperwork, stipulating that she wants her stuff back. She just turned 20 and the marriage lasted all of four months. ::sighs::.

If anyone knows the answer to this, I would be very appreciative!

Thank you in advance.

~Taconya~
Yes, she can do that. When she makes her petition she needs to list the items she wants very specifically.

Taconya

How should she do it?

Thank you for your reply!!! As the paperwork was already done once, how does she go back and tell them she wants to revise it?

~Taconya~

LdiJ

Taconya said:
Thank you for your reply!!! As the paperwork was already done once, how does she go back and tell them she wants to revise it?

~Taconya~
She should probably get an attorney to handle this for her, however basically she is going to need to submit a petition asking to amend the property settlement in the divorce...the petion would need to state exactly what amendments she wants, and why.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">