• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Amendment to Divorce Papers because of pregnancy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katgclayton

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina
My husband and I have been separated for over 2 years and we have a 4 year old daughter together. Both of us want a divorce and we both agree as far as everything goes with the divorce and out daughter. We went to court today for our divorce and the judge told us we couldnt get one until i filed an amendment to our divorce papers stating that he is not the father and served my boyfriend(the father) to court as well.(i guess to prove that he has knowledge that i am pregnant and that it is his.) even though my husband told the judge it isn't his baby. my question is how do i file an amendment and what form do i use?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina
My husband and I have been separated for over 2 years and we have a 4 year old daughter together. Both of us want a divorce and we both agree as far as everything goes with the divorce and out daughter. We went to court today for our divorce and the judge told us we couldnt get one until i filed an amendment to our divorce papers stating that he is not the father and served my boyfriend(the father) to court as well.(i guess to prove that he has knowledge that i am pregnant and that it is his.) even though my husband told the judge it isn't his baby. my question is how do i file an amendment and what form do i use?
Because of this new wrinkle, you would be wised to consult with an attorney.

katgclayton

Because of this new wrinkle, you would be wised to consult with an attorney.
which is why im on this forum..... obviously i have thought of that but it costs hundreds to talk to an attorney around here. not only have i posted here but i have asked this same question of an attorney on here as well. but if i could find someone who has been through this and could just explain to me how to make an amendment it would save alot of time and money. my husband and i both agree on everything and we are trying to make it a simple divorce without getting a lawyer involved.

Zigner

which is why im on this forum..... obviously i have thought of that but it costs hundreds to talk to an attorney around here. not only have i posted here but i have asked this same question of an attorney on here as well. but if i could find someone who has been through this and could just explain to me how to make an amendment it would save alot of time and money. my husband and i both agree on everything and we are trying to make it a simple divorce without getting a lawyer involved.
Frankly, it's your actions that have moved this from the realm of "simple" to the realm of "complicated". Kids aren't cheap, in more ways than we imagine.

katgclayton

Frankly, it's your actions that have moved this from the realm of "simple" to the realm of "complicated". Kids aren't cheap, in more ways than we imagine.
obviously i know that. I have a 4 year old daughter who is very well taken care of thank you. It can still be a simple divorce since we both agree on everything. all i am asking is simply how to make an amendment to divorce papers. if you cannot answer the question then why reply? seems to me like you have nothing better to do.

Silverplum

obviously i know that. I have a 4 year old daughter who is very well taken care of thank you. It can still be a simple divorce since we both agree on everything. all i am asking is simply how to make an amendment to divorce papers. if you cannot answer the question then why reply? seems to me like you have nothing better to do.
As volunteers, we all have something else, perhaps "better," to do.

:cool:

single317dad

In South Carolina, of all places, you're playing with fire. Your state is one of the few with adultery laws still on the books, and adultery can seriously affect several aspects of the divorce, especially alimony. You should finish one marriage before starting another, as the saying around here goes.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c015.php

SECTION 16-15-60. Adultery or fornication.

Any man or woman who shall be guilty of the crime of adultery or fornication shall be liable to indictment and, on conviction, shall be severally punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or imprisonment for not less than six months nor more than one year or by both fine and imprisonment, at the discretion of the court.

SECTION 16-15-70. "Adultery" defined.

"Adultery" is the living together and carnal intercourse with each other or habitual carnal intercourse with each other without living together of a man and woman when either is lawfully married to some other person.
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t20c003.php

SECTION 20-3-620. Apportionment factors.

(A) In a proceeding for divorce a vinculo matrimonii or separate support and maintenance, or in a proceeding for disposition of property following a prior decree of dissolution of a marriage by a court which lacked personal jurisdiction over an absent spouse or which lacked jurisdiction to dispose of the property, and in other marital litigation between the parties, the court shall make a final equitable apportionment between the parties of the parties' marital property upon request by either party in the pleadings.

(B) In making apportionment, the court must give weight in such proportion as it finds appropriate to all of the following factors:

(1) the duration of the marriage together with the ages of the parties at the time of the marriage and at the time of the divorce or separate maintenance or other marital action between the parties;

(2) marital misconduct or fault of either or both parties, whether or not used as a basis for a divorce as such, if the misconduct affects or has affected the economic circumstances of the parties, or contributed to the breakup of the marriage; provided, that no evidence of personal conduct which would otherwise be relevant and material for purposes of this subsection shall be considered with regard to this subsection if such conduct shall have taken place subsequent to the happening of the earliest of:

(a) entry of a pendente lite order in a divorce or separate maintenance action;

(b) formal signing of a written property or marital settlement agreement; or

(c) entry of a permanent order of separate maintenance and support or of a permanent order approving a property or marital settlement agreement between the parties;
Most times a court will simply not finalize a divorce of a pregnant person, period, until the child is born and paternity can be determined. What your judge is demanding is a process similar to what's called a Serfain hearing in Michigan. You can proceed pro se (as you always can), but sufficeth to say you've stepped beyond the scope of a standard divorce and into the realm of professional litigators.

What Silverplum so kindly provided with her link will lead you to this form:

http://www.sccourts.org/forms/pdf/SCCA707.pdf

which must be properly filed and served upon all relevant parties. The testimony of all parties involved will be taken as evidence since DNA testing is not yet available.

One question that begs to be asked: Why, if you've waited over two years to divorce your husband, is the matter now so urgent?

katgclayton

As volunteers, we all have something else, perhaps "better," to do.

:cool:
as a volunteer why would you waste your time on a question if you couldn't help? not being rude just asking. i thought this forum was to ask questions and possibly get answers from people who could help. thank you for the link. it actually helped and gave me the form i needed to amend the divorce papers. I really appreciate it. FYI my "actions" were my ex and i have been separated for over 2 years. in that time period we have both moved on but did not proceed with a divorce because he was going to school to be a long haul truck driver and was on the rd constantly for the first year. He wanted to be present for the hearing although legally he didnt have to be. Within this time period i found out that my "window" for having another child EVER was coming to a close due to medical circumstances so yes I made the CHOICE to get pregnant and so did the father of this child. again not being rude and the explanation about my "actions" was not directed directed to you but to anyone who reads this since people tend to jump to conclusions and assume that everyone in this situation is someone who can't keep their legs closed

Silverplum

as a volunteer why would you waste your time on a question if you couldn't help? not being rude just asking. i thought this forum was to ask questions and possibly get answers from people who could help. thank you for the link. it actually helped and gave me the form i needed to amend the divorce papers. I really appreciate it. FYI my "actions" were my ex and i have been separated for over 2 years. in that time period we have both moved on but did not proceed with a divorce because he was going to school to be a long haul truck driver and was on the rd constantly for the first year. He wanted to be present for the hearing although legally he didnt have to be. Within this time period i found out that my "window" for having another child EVER was coming to a close due to medical circumstances so yes I made the CHOICE to get pregnant and so did the father of this child. again not being rude and the explanation about my "actions" was not directed directed to you but to anyone who reads this since people tend to jump to conclusions and assume that everyone in this situation is someone who can't keep their legs closed
Okey-dokey.

Zigner

In other words, your CHOICES have complicated this :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So.... SP wasted her time helping you - as you admit she did.

There is no need to get snippy with people who you admit are helping you FOR FREE when it is your actions/choices that have made your divorce more complicated. At this point, you should do your own research or speak with an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">