• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kcmcgee

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My husband and I have been together for 3 years, but married only less than a year. It has been a very abusive relationship both physically and verbally. My question is Can I do an annulment on something like this?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
On what grounds? You changed your mind?
try a divorce -- it will be easier, quicker and most likely less expensive.

kcmcgee

It's just not that easy for everyone to shell out money they don't have. I can't afford a divorce. A friend of mine mentioned an annulment and I'm looking into what my options are. If an annulment doesn't fit my situation than a divorce will have to wait until I have money.

kcmcgee

Also, I don't know if you noticed, but it is an abusive relationship. I would love for it to work if that part would change, but I know it isn't so I have taken myself out of the situation.

moburkes

Also, I don't know if you noticed, but it is an abusive relationship. I would love for it to work if that part would change, but I know it isn't so I have taken myself out of the situation.
The "on what grounds" part was on what LEGAL BASIS would you be able to file an annulment. The legal options are below. You don't qualify for any of them.

Incest
Mental Incapacitation
Underage Marriage
Fraudulent Act
Duress
Bigamy

tuffbrk

Not challenging your assessment, just asking to gain knowledge - is it possible that abuse may qualify as duress? Wondering if duress has a sort of "catch all" definition similar to how extreme cruelty has been used in NJ for divorce...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Not challenging your assessment, just asking to gain knowledge - is it possible that abuse may qualify as duress? Wondering if duress has a sort of "catch all" definition similar to how extreme cruelty has been used in NJ for divorce...
No, duress would be him hold a gun to your head and forcing you to speak the vows.

Also, an annulment would likely be as expensive, if not more so, than a divorce...

LdiJ

It's just not that easy for everyone to shell out money they don't have. I can't afford a divorce. A friend of mine mentioned an annulment and I'm looking into what my options are. If an annulment doesn't fit my situation than a divorce will have to wait until I have money.
If you can't afford a divorce you can't afford an annulment either. Annulments are generally more expensive than divorces.

If there are no children or signficant assets involved, then follow the other poster's advice and check into filing on your own.

moburkes

No, duress would be him hold a gun to your head and forcing you to speak the vows.

Also, an annulment would likely be as expensive, if not more so, than a divorce...
Yep, considering that he has probably been abusive for the entire relationship, she wasn't FORCED to marry him. She chose to (like many victims) ignore it and expected things to change (like many people).

Duress is FORCING her to marry him, which didn't occur.

kcmcgee

A friend of mine mentioned getting an annulment to me. I don't know anything about it. So I didn't understand the question of "On what grounds." I've gone through alot so call me scatter brain. Anyway, thank you all for answering and giving me something to work with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">