• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

annulment after 5 years?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

louissimpson

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am separating from my wife and would like not to go through divorce proceedings. On the day of our wedding the minister never showed up, because my wife never verified the date with him. My mother, a very religious woman, is married to a man who, at the time, was between prison sentences, and still is locked up, who applied for a pastor's license and was officially a minister, during his prison stay, the same stay that he met my mother. Anyway, when the minister did not show and every one was in place, the only option was to have him perform the ceremony. It was quite pathetic, much like my marriage. He signed the marriage license, and that was that. Only I've read that in Virginia, in order to perform a legal wedding ceremony, you must be a licensed and practicing minister, which he was not. He did not even belong to any church of any kind, and maybe six months later was locked up again. Does this mean I am not legally married, I think so.
Thanks for any advice, in advance. Louis Simpson

LdiJ

louissimpson said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am separating from my wife and would like not to go through divorce proceedings. On the day of our wedding the minister never showed up, because my wife never verified the date with him. My mother, a very religious woman, is married to a man who, at the time, was between prison sentences, and still is locked up, who applied for a pastor's license and was officially a minister, during his prison stay, the same stay that he met my mother. Anyway, when the minister did not show and every one was in place, the only option was to have him perform the ceremony. It was quite pathetic, much like my marriage. He signed the marriage license, and that was that. Only I've read that in Virginia, in order to perform a legal wedding ceremony, you must be a licensed and practicing minister, which he was not. He did not even belong to any church of any kind, and maybe six months later was locked up again. Does this mean I am not legally married, I think so.
Thanks for any advice, in advance. Louis Simpson
You really need to consult an attorney. Its quite possible that he was entitled to perform marriages. You need to be certain before you dismiss the need to divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">