• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment and Bigamy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladycricket67

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Can bigamy charges be brought up after the annulment has been granted?

Here's the details: I have a friend who is being extorted for money from her ex-husband. They got married back in '03, but she found out later on that her previous marriage was still vaild and that marriage was not dissolved until '08. In that time, her "new" husband knew of that and used that to threaten her thoughout that "marriage". That "marriage" was annulled this past year. Now the ex-husband is calling her telling her that if she doesn't give him money for a car repair, he will press charges of bigamy...even though that marriage has been annulled. (She did not enter that marriage with intent to defraud him, she truly believed that the other marriage was dissolved and was in love with the guy.) What can she do, other than get a restraining order and possibly file charges of extortion? She just wants the guy to leave her alone, and has definitely learned her lesson about making sure that previous marriages are actually dissolved!!! Thanks so much for any advice!! :)

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Can bigamy charges be brought up after the annulment has been granted?

Here's the details: I have a friend who is being extorted for money from her ex-husband. They got married back in '03, but she found out later on that her previous marriage was still vaild and that marriage was not dissolved until '08. In that time, her "new" husband knew of that and used that to threaten her thoughout that "marriage". That "marriage" was annulled this past year. Now the ex-husband is calling her telling her that if she doesn't give him money for a car repair, he will press charges of bigamy...even though that marriage has been annulled. (She did not enter that marriage with intent to defraud him, she truly believed that the other marriage was dissolved and was in love with the guy.) What can she do, other than get a restraining order and possibly file charges of extortion? She just wants the guy to leave her alone, and has definitely learned her lesson about making sure that previous marriages are actually dissolved!!! Thanks so much for any advice!! :)
I would suggest that she completely ignore him. I doubt very much that he could convince a DA to prosecute her at this point, and that is the only way that charges could be pressed. She is not married to anyone anymore.

Perky

In addition, the second marriage was annulled. Doesn't that mean there was never a marriage? Hence, no bigamy!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">