• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment and bigamy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aquariusfire

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My daughter found out that her "husband" was still married to another woman when he married her. The other wife has filed for a divorce. Is it too late for my daughter to seek an annulment?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My daughter found out that her "husband" was still married to another woman when he married her. The other wife has filed for a divorce. Is it too late for my daughter to seek an annulment?
Maybe.

Rules on TX divorce and annulment are here:
Texas Annulment

There are two issues you have to look at carefully:

1. If your daughter's husband gets divorced before your daughter files for an annulment, then the marriage automatically becomes valid (see section on void marriages). If she's going to do something, she'll have to do it quickly.

2. If your daughter doesn't do something about it quickly, it could be that she has condoned the situation legally. I don't believe that has any DIRECT bearing on getting an annulment, but it could prohibit her filing for annulment on grounds of fraud (if she doesn't move fast enough to file on grounds of his other marriage).

She should see an attorney.

Aquariusfire

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to get my daughter to get off her butt and do it. Does he have to sign the papers for her to file them? Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">