• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment In California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlazingStar

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

Hello there. I have done some research on criteria for annulment but the verbage still seems vauge to me. I was married Aug 2003. At the time we were living in Massachusetts, so that is where our marriage license is from. Shortly after we were married we moved to California and have been here ever since.

Three months into the marriage I found out there was infidelity. We considered sticking it out but ultimatley the trust is gone and I want out of the marriage. Had I found out before the wedding I would not have gone through with it. So I'm thinking that falls under the catagory of "fraud" right? My husband is very understanding and cooperative (thank God) and not putting up a fight. So I won't get any arguments from him with the legalities of all this.

I really would rather the marriage be nullified than to go through with a divorce because I never would have married him if I knew about this to begin with, so to me, it feels like a fake marriage.

1. Do we qualify for an annulment?
2. Does it have to take place within a certain time frame? (I heard 2 years is the statute of limitations but does that vary from state to state?)
3. Can we do this in California or must it be through a Massachusetts judicial system?
4. How much can I expect to spend? I was told by a friend that annulments cost thousands.

I would greatly apreciate anyones help on this. It's a very painful process that I wish to expedite and move on.

Thanks!
:confused:
Melanie

BlazingStar

I apologize, I didn't mention that we aren't living together. We got married in Mass, then moved to California right after. We have both been living in California, but didn't continue to live together after I found out. He started staying at a friends house. We are separated, but we have not made our separation legal because we didn't feel there was any reason to. Must we legally separate to qualify?

Is there a time frame in which fraud comes into play? I mean can a couple be married for five years and one finds out about the fraudulent actions of another, and so long as separation follows suit, they qualify for an annulment?

Get a divorce. Annulments are very expensive and I still think you do not qualify. It would be much easier to get a divorce. You can even do it yourself if there are no kids involved and hubby doesn't contest it. :rolleyes:

BlazingStar

Why do you think I still don't qualify?

And thanks but divorce is a last resort, on principle. If at the end of the day divorce is my only option then I'll go for it. I feel I was tricked into the marriage. Divorce to me means that the marriage didn't work out. When entered into under false pretenses, it's not valid enough to have not worked out. If I don't qualify for an annulment that's fine but I'm still unclear on what circumstances people do qualify. :eek:

LdiJ

BlazingStar said:

And thanks but divorce is a last resort, on principle. If at the end of the day divorce is my only option then I'll go for it. I feel I was tricked into the marriage. Divorce to me means that the marriage didn't work out. When entered into under false pretenses, it's not valid enough to have not worked out. If I don't qualify for an annulment that's fine but I'm still unclear on what circumstances people do qualify. :eek:
If you are serious about wanting an annulment then you really need to consult an attorney.

BlazingStar

Yes I'm serious about it. I just thought I could get a heads up on this forum so I don't have great expectations only to get dissapointment after I get my bill from the lawyer. I just want to know if I qualify.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

No, you don't qualify. Infidelity is not a criteria for Annulment.

There is insufficient fraud to annul a marriage simply because a party concealed, for example, a severe drinking problem (or, presumably, drug addiction), refused to seek employment after contracting the marriage (despite assurances before marriage to the contrary), proved to be a "disappointing" sexual partner, and/or turned from a "polite" and "nice" person before marriage to a "dirty," "unattractive" and disrespectful person after the marriage, or infidelity. A finding of Family Code § 2210(d) fraud cannot rest solely on the fact a spouse "turned from a prince into a frog." [Marriage of Johnston 18 Cal.App.4th at 500-502, 22 Cal.Rptr.2d at 254-255--that "husband turned out to be, in the eyes of his wife, a lazy, unshaven disappointment with a drinking problem" not sufficient grounds for annulment]

You need to file a Petition for Dissolution.

IAAL

BlazingStar said:

You do not qualify. Period. If it's a principle issue and the marriage is so important, then why dont you seek counseling? Not valid enough to not have worked out? WRONG! It is very valid. You are MARRIED. You have been given the advice that you needed. Sorry that you do not like it. That is how it is. You can always consult an attorney if it's worth it to you,however you will be wasting time. It has been 2 years since you were married. You should have done something sooner if you indeed felt you were "frauded". :rolleyes:

BlazingStar

<<<<You do not qualify. Period. If it's a principle issue and the marriage is so important, then why dont you seek counseling? Not valid enough to not have worked out? WRONG! It is very valid. You are MARRIED. You have been given the advice that you needed. Sorry that you do not like it. That is how it is. You can always consult an attorney if it's worth it to you,however you will be wasting time. It has been 2 years since you were married. You should have done something sooner if you indeed felt you were "frauded". >>>>

Wow someone wasted no amount of time posturing who the forum flamer is. Ironic your name should be "Howamidoing". The anwser? Ignorant. I sincerely hope someone who doesn't ask questions, rather jumps right to biased conclusions is *not* a lawyer. That's a scary thought, considering people come here for help, not judgement. It's like Thumpers dad told him: "If you can't say anything nice...."

I am not seeking advice on annulment vs divorce. Obviously divorce is my only option if I don't *qualify* for an annulment, as previously stated. I came to ask if it is *possible* for this to end in an annulment. The "principle" I discussed was about how the marriage ends based on why it began to begin with, I said nothing of the principle revolving around the importance of the marriage as it really stands...so where you pulled that from is beyond me. The principle is that I didn't fail, but rather that I was lied to before getting married. Which means the marriage was based on a lie. That means I do not want to be married, plain and simple.

Yet in the same statement you tell me I'm wrong to say it isn't valid enough to have not worked out. I'm an adult, and I think I am aware of what I consider a valid choice in my life thank you. Being lied to as a condition for me to sign my name on a legal document is not one of them. So please spare me the high and mighty attitude. No amount of counseling will change what has happened and the fact that the trust is gone. Add to that, I have not been given the advice I needed, and you have no clue whatsoever what I like. But here's a hint: not you. :D

If "that's how it is" on this forum, thank you for letting me know ahead of time so I don't muddy my eyes on any more erroneous advice. I have planned to consult an attorney on the matter. However, I wanted to pick apart the facts and get some input first so I know what to tell him or her when the meeting takes place. So really the only waste of time is prooving to be the lack of information I'm getting from someone who doesn't know my situation in detail or what they're talking about. Especially since you say it's been two years, and that won't be true until the end of august. It's the beginning of June, mmm K?

It seems to me that my decision to end the marriage, my separation, and plans to consult an attorney and comming here before hand is "doing something", but hey what do I know. Be careful, you might actually be giving me viable facts by suggesting 2 years is too late...perhaps an anwser to my question about a statute of limitations? Oh no, not that! That would be cooperating! Helpful even!

<<<<Oh good grief..... Google it!>>>>

Good grief indeed, I'll repeat myself yet again. I believe I mentioned that I already did some research on criteria and came up with very vauge anwsers. The information is vauge not because I don't qualify, but because it did not list enough detail for me to know if I qualify. That research was done (big shocker) on Google. I find the grounds in California to be ambiguously stated as far as what constitutes fraud. This is what I've found (cut and pasted from several sites) thus far:

An annulment (or "nullity of marriage" or "nullity of domestic partnership") is when a court says your marriage or domestic partnership is NOT legally valid. A marriage or domestic partnership that is incestuous or bigamous is never valid. Other marriages and partnerships can be declared "void" because:

of force, fraud, or physical or mental incapacity;
one of the spouses or partners was too young to legally marry or enter into a domestic partnership; or
one of the spouses or partners was already married or in a registered domestic partnership.
Annulments are very rare. If you ask to have your marriage or domestic partnership annulled, you will have to go to hearing with a judge.

Grounds for annulment vary slightly from state to state. Generally, they may be obtained for one of the following reasons:

*Misrepresentation or fraud -- for example, a spouse lied about the capacity to have children, stated that she had reached the age of consent, or failed to say that she was still married to someone else.

*Concealment -- for example, concealing an addiction to alcohol or drugs, conviction of a felony, children from a prior relationship, a sexually transmitted disease, or impotency.

*Refusal or inability to consummate the marriage -- that is, refusal or inability of a spouse to have sexual intercourse with the other spouse.

*Misunderstanding -- for example, one person wanted children and the other did not.

Fraud sufficent to warrant an annulmnet must go to the very essence of the marital relationship. I am not aware of a case that addresses sexual prefrence as a basis of fruad but other case support fraud relating to issues of intimacy (ie false promise to stoip a relationship with a former lover, concealing an existing pregnancy, concelaing sterility have all supported annulmnets in other published cases. The statute requires an to bring an action for fraud that the defrauded party cannot with full knowledge of the facts constituting the fraud freely cohabitate as husband and wife. Family Code, Section 2210(d). The time limit to bring the action is 4 years after the discovery of the facts constituting the fraud. Family Code, Section 2211(d)

Now from what I gather of this information, I qualify. But I wasn't 100% positive. I just wanted to make sure, by asking people whom I thought would know more details. Maybe people who would ask questions to make sure they don't give false advice. My husband has a criminal past and bankruptcy that I was not aware of either. The infidelity didn't take place after the marriage but before. I just found out after the marriage. That is why it was based on a lie. It wasn't just going out and cheating either. It happened while I was asleep in the next room, and on many occasions. So I don't think anyone in thier right mind would marry someone who does that to them if they knew about it beforehand. To me, that's fraud.

My last post was to inquire who exactly does qualify for an annulment. It wasn't to solicit rude responses and preachy admonishments from someone who doesn't know me or my situation, and certainly not the extent of the infidelity and other lies that ended my marriage. Still there is no anwser to that question of "who DOES qualify?" Your assuming "You don't qualify, period" is beyond rude, it's childish. Way to make friends!

The more you tell me I don't qualify, the more confident I am that I do. Thank you for that reassurance! Despite your assurance and condescension I’m sure if I give a more detailed analysis of the events to other forums they will offer much more support. Howamidoing, now that you've beat your chest to display your dominance; maybe you should consider what little evidence you have to be so arrogant. I'm surprised you aren't adding an ::::eye roll:::: to convey how extremely annoying it is that I'm asking polite questions just to aid myself in an already devastating process. But I guess compassion and maturity is too much to expect. Good day.

rmet4nzkx

YOU DON'T QUALIFY PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINK IN POST #2 WHICH WILL TAKE YOU TO THE PLACE TO GET A SUMMARY DISSOLUSION, IF YOU BOTH AGREE THIS IS SIMPLE AND MINIMAL COST.

YOU DID ASK IF YOU QUALIFIED "1. Do we qualify for an annulment?" YOU DO NOT, LOOKING TO CONTRIVE GROUNDS IS NOT GOING TO WORK, YOU HAVE WASTED TIME, YOU COULD HAVE HAD YOUR SUMMARY DISSOLUTION LONG AGO!

I DID NOT READ YOU LONG POST.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">