• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment/Conflict of Interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sunni72

I am in the process of obtaining an annulment in the state of Oklahoma. I found out in January 09 that my former (husband) was married when he married me in another state in 07. Would it be a conflict of interest if his ex-wife's attorney agreed to take my case? My attorney had his previous wife and myself sign a conflict of interest waiver, buy my ex is arguing the fact that my attorney has confidential information based on her representing his ex-wife in a custody matter. He is Pro-Se and also serving time in jail for a felony he committed against me after I asked for the annulment. I just want this to be over and because of a previous incident with an attorney, don't completely trust everything I'm told. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

LdiJ

I am in the process of obtaining an annulment in the state of Oklahoma. I found out in January 09 that my former (husband) was married when he married me in another state in 07. Would it be a conflict of interest if his ex-wife's attorney agreed to take my case? My attorney had his previous wife and myself sign a conflict of interest waiver, buy my ex is arguing the fact that my attorney has confidential information based on her representing his ex-wife in a custody matter. He is Pro-Se and also serving time in jail for a felony he committed against me after I asked for the annulment. I just want this to be over and because of a previous incident with an attorney, don't completely trust everything I'm told. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Did you pick the attorney first, and then find out he represented the other ex, or did you know before hand that he did?

Is your ex contesting the annulment?

Golfball

So who did this attorney represent?

Did the attorney represent your X's prior X, or did the attorney represent your X himself?

Assuming it is the former: (If it's the latter, all bets are off!)

IMNSHO, your X is blowing smoke. While the attorney may have information protected by attorney-client privliege, your X isn't the client, so any information your X divulged to the attorney is not protected. The CoI waiver should cover everyone else's collective backsides.

Mass_Shyster

The attorney never represented your former husband's interests. There can be no conflict of interest if there was no interest to begin with.

Some lawyers make a living suing the same person/company over and over again. It sounds like this one is already familiar with some of the issues, so can save you some money.

ps: Your former husband's attorney is a fool.

Tayla

Just one word comes to mind:polygamy

But it was answered already that the second or any proceeding marriages arent recognized by the courts so really then, polygamy doesn't exist :)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Just one word comes to mind:polygamy

But it was answered already that the second or any proceeding marriages arent recognized by the courts so really then, polygamy doesn't exist :)
Actually she is married. Her marriage is voidable.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So who did this attorney represent?

Did the attorney represent your X's prior X, or did the attorney represent your X himself?

Assuming it is the former: (If it's the latter, all bets are off!)

IMNSHO, your X is blowing smoke. While the attorney may have information protected by attorney-client privliege, your X isn't the client, so any information your X divulged to the attorney is not protected. The CoI waiver should cover everyone else's collective backsides.
There is no conflict of interest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">