• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment & Credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confusedlife

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

I got married a few years ago to a man who had gone through a bancruptcy and so couldn't get credit. I had never had any credit cards or loans and so when we got married everything went into my name. We used my credit to pay off many of his outstanding loans, pay our bills, buy furniture and groceries, etc. He also bought thousands of dollars of clothes for himself and used my credit cards for his own "shopping therapy".

He left a year after we got married because he had started sleeping with one of my friends. He took my credit cards with him and they both used them before I was realized what was happening and cancelled the accounts.

I was expecting to resolve this when we went through the divorce process but when I told him I was going to file for divorce he told me that he had been married when he married me and I couldn't divorce him because we weren't legally married.

This has dragged out for 3 years and I still haven't found a lawyer who is willing to even touch this case.

Can I sue him for the credit card debt, all or partial? (Many of these bills have since gone to collections since I started medical school and wasn't able to get enough financial aid to pay for my daughter's daycare and these debts.)

The courts around here have paperwork for do-it-yourself divorces. Is there a way to do an annulment the same way?

What do I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">